1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK Voicing.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by powellmacaque, Apr 11, 2010.

1. So I use a 700RB, and I really love the sound I get out of that thing. Only problem with it is lately I've been cranking it past 12 o'clock, and sometimes that isn't loud enough.

As stated, I love the 700RB tone, so if I go bigger, I plan on moving to the 1001RB, but is there much difference in voicing? The specs/features look virtually the same between the two amps, but they could sound completely different. Yes I know I need to play them to know the differences, but I don't have the opportunity to do so until a bit later on.

2. If you keep the gain higher on the 1001RB II it should sound just like a 700RB II. If you have the 700RB (I) the voicing is different. Add more speakers to your 700RB (I or II) maintaining no lower than a 4 ohm load and you'll need to drive the amp less.

3. I have the 700RB I, and so it's 100W less than the II. I still find myself turning the Master control up quite a bit, and after about 1:00 I don't hear much of a volume increase.

I noticed this both when running at 8ohms (115 SBX) and 4 ohms (115sbx and 410sbx+).

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I would assume the 1001 Mk. I would have similar voicing to your 700RB. The Mk. II models have different voicing, with a warmer, thicker tone overall. And the 700RB-II is MUCH louder thant the Mk. I. I have both. How much are you using "boost?" That adds to the volume.

5. You could be running into compression on the SBX 15", more power only compresses the sound not producing any more volume. What does the SBX 410+ do on it's own? Also what is your input gain set at, tone controls, string switch in or out?

6. I normally crank the boost to almost full tilt.

A little background:

The gigs I normally play are modern country and big band jazz.
    In the country gig (it's modern country, so a bit heavier than traditional stuff), I'm competing with 3 guitars (running with 2 Marshall MG series and one Fender Twin Reverb), loud drums, keyboards, a harmonica, the lead singer, and harmony vocals. Luckily live I get great PA support, so I just use my amp as my own monitor really and to get the "rumble" on stage for the other dudes to feel. But in practice I'm always cranking.

In the big band I compete with 6 saxes, 2 clarinets, 4 trombones, a tuba, drumset, aux percussion, piano/keyboards, and guitar. With this one I normally only run @ 8ohms into my 15" because I don't think the director would like a bass stack in this setting. I have trouble cutting through here, I can hear me but the others can't. I'm also lucky if I get any PA support whatsoever.

7. Yea, now that you mention it my 15" does compress after about 12:00. I just acquired the 410+, so I have yet to mess around with it too much (acquired it with a blown speaker, just got the speaker replaced).

Normally my controls are as follows:

Volume: 10:00 - 12:00 (to taste)

Contour: 9:00
    Presence: 2:00

Treble: 11:00
    Hi-Mid: 11:30
    Low-Mid: 2:00
    Bass: 1:00

Boost: 2:00
    Tweeter: 3:30
    Woofer: 1:00 is the highest I run it, but to taste.

I normally run my 5-string voice all the time, even when not using my 5-string.

I normally press the -10dB only when using an active bass.

I have the tweeter hi-cut and the woofer x-over pressed at all times.

8. Use the 410 in the big band, not the 115! You'll cut through better and the 410 will actually have better lows as well as the mid punch to cut through.
    Your settings sound pretty good although a little bass heavy (string switch in and bass at 1:00). A lot of power is being used for stage rumble, good for your feel but bad for projection. Just a thought.

9. Had a feeling you were gonna say that, lol.

Guess I'll have to lug that behemoth to and fro every other day.:crying:

10. The new NEO 410's are very light (sorry for the GAS ;) )

11. So to get a little more umph, should I trade in for the 700rb-II or go to the 1001rb? Does it sound like I'm doing something bad with my preamp?

12. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Depends. The 700RB-II is killer for that aggressive GK rock tone. It nails it quite well, and it does this at reasonable volumes. The 1001RB-II, with the extra headroom on tap, needs to be turned up quite a bit more to get the nice aggressive growl out of it. It stays cleaner longer, but that may or may not be what your looking for.

13. I don't think I want more headroom, just more power. I don't need tons more power though, I feel like all I need is about 20dB worth of sound and I'd be alright. With my current amp I can hear myself, just not well.

14. Would running my amp full range instead of biamp increase perceived volume?

15. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Have you considered a 1001RB-II through a fEarful 15/6/1 cab? The 3015LF woofer in that cab can soak up all 480 watts the 1001RB-II will put into an 8 ohm load and move more air than about any 15 on the market. Running the 1001RB-II hot will get you that growl you're after. The 6.5" mid in that cab provides excellent mid clarity and dispersion to punch through a busy mix so you should be able to both feel and hear yourself. These cabs are also light at around 52 lbs so your back will also thank you. :bassist::p

16. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Dunno, I've only ran my 700RB-II at full. Mine gets plenty loud though with a 4ohm 210 though.

But you'll definitely get more power going from a 700BR-I to a 1001RB-II. I think you would prolly only find extra headroom in the 700RB-II.

17. I'll try running at full range next practice. I read somewhere that if you're turning up past 12:00 constantly, you need a louder amp. How true is that?

18. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I'm pretty sure the GK can handle it, but if you feel you need more power but want the same tone, an upgrade to a more powerful amp in the same line is not a bad idea.

19. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    You are going to notice a far greater increase in volume from increasing the speakers in play rather than just upping your wattage. Try the 410 stand alone and compare to the 115 standalone before doing anything else.

Also, doesn't the 5 string button on the 700 give a low end boost? That is going to eat a LOT of power. I'd try the 410 first then perhaps kill that bass boost button if you are still running out of steam. That will give you approximately 400 watts into a decent 410 which should be enough volume for most any gig...

20. I'm not sure what the 5-string button does sonically. Also would having my tweeter hi-cut and woofer x-over button pressed do anything to lower perceived volume?