Gk vs. Acoustic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Octalcode, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Octalcode

Octalcode

Apr 20, 2008
    Trying to decide between GK 700RBII or Acoustic B600H. Both the same price ($350). Anyone have experience with both of these? I have Ampeg 410SVT HLF cab and Acoustic B410 cab. I play mainly classic rock (no slap).

2. I don't have any experience with the Acoustic stuff.

I've used the GK700RBII with a 410SVTHLF (USA fwiw) and I REALLY enjoy this combo! I don't know what it is, but anytime I've played any bass through this rig it sounds great! Whether it's at rehearsal, recording, Sam Ash, GC...

I use this rig at our rehearsal\recording studio for all of our recordings. I've also used an old 400RB through that cabinet and been very happy with it for recording\rehearsal.

$350 is a great price for the GK.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow, I'll say! :eek: Is that used?

4. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I'm a Genz benz fan myself. Given the choices I'd for sure go with GK. If GB didn't exist I'd probably go with GK great sound to price ratio.

5. Octalcode

Octalcode

Apr 20, 2008
    Yes, it's used. 2 years old. Rarely gigged, was used at home.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That would be an excellent head for that price, if it's in good shape.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Be aware that the 2 410's you mentioned are very different. The Ampeg is a 4 ohm cab, and the Acoustic is an 8 ohm cab. I wouldn't run them together with either head. I would jump on that GK head, and pair it with the Ampeg cab. That's all you'll need.

8. I own the GK 700RB-II and I absolutely love it. That GK growl is a lot of fun and on top of that, it's biamp-able. Very versatile amp and built like a tank. That price is a steal! I'd get it before someone else does. :bassist:

9. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    I can never seem to get a good tone out of a GK amp, but I love those Acoustics. And agreed; get rid of the Acoustic 4x10, you won't need it with the HLF!

10. It should be noted that the 700RBII is not biampable in the way that an 800RB is biampable.

I know there are threads from the past floating around about this so I won't get into it.

So if you do end up with the 700RBII be sure you understand it's proprietary 'biamp' capabilities.

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

Agreed 100% - I have both the 700rb-II and the SVT410-HLF, and they work very, very well with one another...

Also, a 700rb-II in good shape for $350 has got to be one of the best bang for the buck values in a pro-quality amp there is - jump on it...

- georgestrings

12. Octalcode

Octalcode

Apr 20, 2008
    Thanks for all the positive input! No contest - GK wins.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021