1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gk vs ampeg vs markbass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by edcars, Mar 7, 2008.

1. edcars

edcars

Mar 7, 2008
    houston tx
    hi. im new to this forum, i just want your suggestion and advice.

im in a hardcore band ( sounds like hatebreed, sick of it all etc) i have a GK 700rbII , i like how it sounds but i still cant dial in the sound that i really like. that overdriven , gritty sounding bass.

i was thinking about getting an ampeg b2re or a lil mark bass head. but im afraid i might make a mistake of getting rid of the GK head. or will a sansamp to it for me?

my set up is a GK head with gk 2x10 rbh cab and a 1x18 ampeg cab. playing with a ebmm sting ray or a ltd 304 viper.

l_79353b44da49b6514e3d998c4ec01c18.

ignore the fat kid in the pic, just focus on the rig on the back.

thanks again.

2. I think you can get that sound with that bass and head.
    Experiment with EQs a bit.
    Do you use an over drive pedal?

3. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I think until you're ready to commit to an all-tube head, the GK would be the one to use. I think the B2RE is a little too light in the loafers for your purposes, and though I love the Markbass, it's a clean amp. However, I've used a Rat with it before and it does sound really good for grinding distortion sounds. Some people swear by the Sansamp for overdrive. Me, I don't like it so much. All a matter of opinion.

But really, I think what you want to hear is the sound of tubes. Maybe if you have a few more bucks to spare you could get a used SVT 2 Pro, which has a very good sounding drive built into it. Or you could even get a tube preamp. Not quite as good as having an all-tube amp, but they can get you a lot closer to what you want to hear than the GK can.

4. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    What are the settings on the GK?

5. Hmmm, seems like you need either a tube head or a Sansamp. I bet your rig sounds awesome already though.

6. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
  7. edcars

edcars

Mar 7, 2008
    houston tx
    vic,
    well my settings are, input vol is 2 contour is 2 presence is 5 treb is 6 mid is 6 the other mid is 6 bass 7, boost is 6 woofer varies but usually 4-5. am i doing something wrong here? :)

i have yet to try a pedal, maybe a sansamp or a boss od.

rob,
    i was thinking about an svt 4pro but its too much for my budget. the svt 2pro never really crossed my mind. ill try to find one at gc or sa and try it out. but its way outta my price range. ill see if i can find one on ebay.

which is better tho? sansamp or a boss bass od? ive even seen those blowtorch but i havent really tried it.

well ill keep on trying to fiddle with the settings.

thanks guys

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Don't get a markbass LMII. They are very clean sounding and no matter what you are not going to get any distortion out of it. Unless you add a pedal that is. That said I'm a big fan of the LMII and this is the first time I didnt recommend it!

I'd keep your GK amp and add a pedal. A sansamp bddi sounds really nice. I've heard the behringer version sounds really good too and alot cheaper for basically the same thing.

Good luck!

9. edcars

edcars

Mar 7, 2008
    houston tx
    thanks. i might try out a pedal or two.

10. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    First: You need to turn input volume up to 12 o'clock or even 1 o'clock. The boost should be ok around 1 o'clock...adjust total volume with the master. Try that.

11. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    +1 on the Sansamp. I have a Peavey Max 700, too clean for my taste (punk band), and the BDDI makes it waaaay better.

I don't have any experience with the Markbass, but if you get the Ampeg you will be shocked by how much quieter you are, especially compared to a GK. It's a very quiet 450 watts, in my opinion.

12. Try input volume at 12 and boost at 7 or 8 or maybe even 9 and maybe crank the mids a little, that should make the sound gritty. New strings make the grittyness sound better too.

13. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Try this: (In clock positions)

Volume - 12:00
    No Contour
    No Presence
    Treble - 12:00
    Hi-Mid - 1:00
    Lo-Mid - 1:30
    Bass - 11:30
    Boost - 2:00
    Woofer - To Taste

14. GK should be fine, if you go AMPEG-you need to go tube, no hybrid nonsense. Mark Bass is a def no.

I personally would recommend a Dunlop MXR pedal- The newer one is called the Blowtorch. The older one was used by Rex Brown-Pantera, Robert Trujillo-Ozzy(then) and some other in your face bassist. I have never tried the Sansamp...you def need something extreme-I say Blowtorch!

15. edcars

edcars

Mar 7, 2008
    houston tx
    i will try that setting. im off today :hyper:
    thanks for the suggestions. ill stick with gk until i can afford an svt 2pro. i really do like the gk.

ill check the blowtorch out. the samash close to me have those in stock so i might try it out.

16. treebranch13

treebranch13

Oct 31, 2007
    get GK's overdrive pedal, that will do it

17. edcars

edcars

Mar 7, 2008
    houston tx
    oh i didnt know they make od pedals. thanks for the info. ill check em out.

18. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    Seriously, as I posted above...you could probably get more what you want by just turning up the input volume and boost to 12 or 1 o'clock. Try that before you go buy more gear!
    :)

19. SERPENT865

SERPENT865

Jan 1, 2007
    Wichita , KS
    G-K or nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. edcars

edcars

Mar 7, 2008
    houston tx
    THB bassman. i tried the setting you suggested and i was happy with the results.

i tried turning the volume up to 1:00 but it started to get muddy so set it back to about 11:30

i tried lowering the boost a lil bit about 10:00, i liked it when it was at 12.

i tried putting a sonic stomp but it kinda sounded weird, like a farting sound. so i took it off .