Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK vs Avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ely, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    I'm designing my next rig (that I won't have for another couple of years) and I've come to a problem. I've already decided on a GK head, depending on how much wattage I'll need. I now am stuck on 2 different brands for cabs. Avatar has the advantage of low price, and very good reviews, but I would like to know more, (ie. are they good for rock?, good low B handling?, what about high C?, how loud do they get?, etc). GK cabs look really good (yeah I know, but I prefer the black/grey to solid black), but are kind of expensive (btw I'm talking about the ones without the horn), and I guess GK Head + GK Cabs = Good, which is another reason they're on here. I'd like to have some reasons why either is better and maybe some descriptions of the tone. I'm looking at either a single 4x10 for right now, or a 2x10/1x15 stack. Other brands I'm willing to negotiate about (if someone will give a good suggestion/reason/arguement) are Ampeg, Peavey, Eden Nemesis, SWR Workingman, and stuff like 4x12's, 8x8's, and 6x10's.

Sorry about being longwinded and probably nonsensical, but it's late and I'm bored/tired.

P.S. I want REASONS! No one word/sentence answers!

2. don't go by color and looks my friend. That's all i have to say about that.

I have an Avatar 4x10 and GK400RB-III but too inexperienced to really comment on it.

(this post doesn't help at all...sorry)

3. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    I didn't choose GK just for looks, but also cause I heard something about how GK Heads were designed specifically for GK Cabs. I've never seen any reviews for GK cabs except for someone once saying something about them not being very efficient. I need some reviews from people who've experienced these things.

Thanks

4. my rig is a GK 700 RB with an avatar 2x10 and im gonna get the avatar 1x15 soon. It sounds great together the only problem is that you cant take advantage of the bi amp feature that certian GK heads have with GK cabs