Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK vs. Eden

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I have found inmy cases that GK 400RB and 800RB beat the hell out of any eden head. I tried a GK 400RB on Friday night and then a Eden WT-400 on Saturday. The eden head did not sound near as good and had clip lights coming on all night. The GK was 200w less had no clip lights coming on and sounded better to my ears. I was using a 75 Jazz and two Bag End S-15D cabs. with the heads. I think I am going to return my eden 400 for a GK 800RB. Is this a wise decision?

2. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Edens are good man but the GK's are just crazy. Definitly do it man. Louder is always awesome. Did it have a good tone though? GK's ussually do.

GK all the way. I wish I had enough $ to buy some of teir stuff.

l8r

3. That's interesting, because I have a GK head an an Eden cabinet. It works out real well, I think. A few weeks ago, I tried out Ampeg, SWR, GK, and Fender rigs. I much preferred the GK. The others had too much color. I mean, if you're looking for one of those colors ALL THE TIME, you should get one of those amps.

As far as volume/price/weight/road-testedness, GK heads are way on top.

If I had a reason to spend a lot of money on an amp, there's a good chance I would keep using GK. I want them to make something hotter than the 400RB without bi-amping though. I think my new favorite cabinet is Bergantino, but Eden's still pretty nice.

4. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    The 400RB just went up to 280 watts, so I guess it's 40 watts hotter than the old one.......

5. 68special

68special Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Italy, Milan
    GK 400 RB III with David Eden 2x12 XLT, what do You think about this mix? I now use the David Eden with the GK MB 200 mini amp as head, but I would like to use a much powerful head when in larger venues (not often actually). I mainly play fretless 4 strings Jazz bass in a funk-fusion band (I love the Jaco sound). What do You think? Thanks

6. 68special

68special Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Italy, Milan
    in the previous post I digited David Eden 2x12 XLT, but I made a mistake, I have the 2x10 XLT, sorry.:(

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Both of those amps are known to be reliable. It's "wise" if you like the GK better. Simple as that, my friend. ;)

8. Right-on-the-money Boogiebass!!!:bassist:

9. That is exactly my setup, a GK400RB-III (240 watts) into an Eden D210XLT. Marvelous. I play a fretless jazz 4-string in a funk jazz band, and a 5-string Pedulla Rapture through it for rock projects. Either way, it sounds pretty sweet to me. My experience here has been that large clubs have PAs, small clubs you don't need the bass through a PA, so just having the one cab has not been a problem. The only thing I want my amp to do is make me as loud as the drummer, and this rig does that. Everything else is the sound guy's dealy.

10. Dealy-O?:D(funny word, long time no hear)
    BTW - good sig.

11. Thought I'd chime in. I've had both an Eden WT-400 and a GK 800rb. My tone preference was for the Eden, but I thought it was much more flexible than the GK. GK had a nice bright 'modern' tone (to me) and the eden could get me there but a lot of other places too. Power was never an issue with either one, I never really played a big venue with them. But the GK only had one tone. If you like it great, but if not, yer stuck. As always, YMMV. Incidentally, my GK I bought with a blown up 300w power section. I now have a 200RCB (head only version of 200MB) which is blown up too. So I don't know about reliability. Maybe just that's what I like to fix in my spare time.

Bottom line is always this - buy what you like, not what Bass Player says everyone is using.

Stay Low,

Basstrader

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Opinions vary, and everyone's certainly entitled to their own.

Personally, I played through a GK 800RB for many years, and later a GK 2000RB. Served me well at the time, but neither can hold a candle to my Eden Navigator preamp as far as overall best tone and versatility.:bassist:

13. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Edens are lacking in headroom, that's why the GK screams. The front end of an Eden is quite swell, it's the back end that's a bit of drag to me.

14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Trip, you're right on the money with that assessment. That's why I use the Eden PREAMP, with a nice, powerful separate power amp.

You know, my GK 800RB was a freakin' tank. I got about 12 years of use out of it, pushed hard and hot several gigs a week, it tumbled down a set of stairs once (mounted in a rack) and just kept on kicking. When I eventually sold it, it was still working as if it was new. That 800RB sure was a monster. I think that's why it was so standard in alot of production backlines all through the 80's and 90's. GK should have a gold-plated version of the 800RB on display in its greeting area, under glass as a monument . . .

15. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Line 6 did copy it for the "80's" setting on the bass POD. So I guess it would be a "classic" in some ways. It was just about the first lightweight bass head on the market. I have one that I use from time to time. My main head is the last 1001 proto before they went into production. It's cleaner and quieter than the ones out right now, but it doesn't sound as fat. I don't really care, it just works you know!:)

16. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    One more thing; Line 6 got it wrong, I think.

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I totally agree, the power amp is the weak link with the Eden heads. Nice preamps, tho.

18. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Well all I know is that through my two Bag End
    S-15D cabs the GK head sounded better. It seemed to have more balls and was cleaner for slapping. I do not know why because it was rated 200W less than the eden wt-400? My 75 Jazz sounded awesome through the GK with the two bag end cabs. I do not know how my R bass 5 will sound through it. Maybe I should go trade the eden in on a GK 800RB tommorow. I used to like eden but since I played through that GK head it just seemed to whoop its ass, was 200 w less and sounded better to me. It was one of the older 400RB with the red lights intead of the green though. Maybe those older ones are better than the new ones?

19. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    you guys must be playing at much louder levels than i do because ive never had any headroom problems with my wt800. or maybe im just lucky:D

20. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I use a 1001rb and two 8 ohm Eden 2-10XLTs. I use just one cab for small gigs.

I've tried Eden heads, and I think sound very good. I hear many good things about them from other players. It's just my personal preference to stay with GK. I like the tone, my heads have been reliable, and they're punchy with power to spare. ... and at a very compact 18 lbs, they're very easy to carry.