1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK vs Epifani?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassistloaded21, Apr 26, 2010.

1. bassistloaded21

bassistloaded21 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I currently have a UL502 and UL410 S1 that is used with a Lakland 5502. Ive been looking at getting the GK Fusion 550 with the Neo 212 and 112 (both 8ohm) to replace it. I like the Epifani, but i do notice a "honkyness" with my bass and this setup. I also am kinda going for a more thicker tone than the refined and super clean sound of the Epifani gear. I want a little coloration. My band is like Funk/Rock/Blues band(www.myspace.com/fourfingerfive). Do you guys think that i would benegit from changing over to the GK setup? I dont have any way to try this gear, but i dont mind buying blindly, thanks to talkbass. Help me out?

2. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    btw the UL412 is too big for me right now

3. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Epi cabs have a pretty schmoove sound to my ears. With that Epi rig, your likely hearing more of the cab character than the head character, as that's a very clear sounding head. Have you simply tried the Fusion550 with your UL410...to get a thicker sound?

4. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Have not, im just thinking of getting the Fusion. I think i read somewhere on the forums that the GK heads dont pair up well with the Epifani cabs

5. Hi! I used to have the UL310 S1 with my UL501 - which I'm now running through a Shroeder BMF212. The low-mid heavy Schroe cab suits the wiiiiiiiiiide head much better, than the equally wiiiiiiiiiiide UL cab. NO honkyness here, a breeze to schlep around. I put a VT pedal in for when I need a little tubey coloration - and it rocks :smug:. This is just an alternative to getting rid of the entire rig, that might solve your problem.

6. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yea im good on the shroeder cabs

7. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    ANybody? need some help, i need to try to buy this stuff today i think lol

8. I'd say try the Epif's with the Fusion before you go looking at any new cabs! The G-K's are great cabs, super value, but a little like leaving a Rolls Royce for a Lincoln?

9. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I'd let your own ears decide that. ;) Otherwise, maybe try a cab like an Aguilar 1x12" with your Epi head. Both the DB & GS are nicely colored, and another way to thicken up your current tone. I pair of those would rock.

10. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yea, i was thinking to just try the Fusion w the Epifani cab too. Just thought id seen somewhere that the two arent a good pairing. O well, I guess its worth a try

11. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Absolutely! In fact, try everything; every mix n match combination you can.
    For example, I run a MB LMII atop a Berg 1x12" and a buddy runs an Aggie DB750 atop an Epi 3x10". I swapped heads and found that I MUCH preferred the Aggie tone with the Berg(despite the obvious size mismatch) and MUCH preferred my LMII thru the Epi.

12. Know two different players using Epif with G-K that love the combo!

13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

+1

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Agreed. Epifani is more or less the best you can buy (depending on your tastes) and while GK is good gear, it just isn't Epi.

And your tone description is odd - the *last* thing my Epi setup is is "Honky"...

15. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Personally, I can never get a good tone out of GK stuff. I've heard Markbass heads played through Epi cabs and absolutely loved it. They really work well together.

16. jmiles45

jmiles45

Sep 27, 2008
    Media / Marketing for Fodera Guitar Partners, LLC
    I've used a GK 800rb with an epi NYC 210 for a while and loved the tone. Smooth, no apparent "honkyness", great low end. Haven't played through the fusion but I know the GK sound and it's always worked with my epi cabs including my PS 410 (previous generation/ not with the new drivers)

17. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Another thought is that a good pedal will get you your color of choice....for less dough. An EBS Valvedrive or Multidrive or Dave Hall VT-1 or a host of others. Juss sayin'.

18. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I thought about the Valve Drive. My epifani head just doesnt seem to get me that rich, thick tone that im looking for. I got to play the GK 212 combo today and loved it, was more my tone than the Epifani. I understand Epifani is consideired the best, but I dont think that means that Gk cant sound better for some people. Price isnt everything, ive been learning that here on talkbass a lot

19. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    That Aguilar preamp pedal might be an excellent match with your current rig as well.

20. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    It just depends on your situation. I'm fortunate to be playing in a situation where I can hear all the nuances of my playing, so my Berg/LMII rig works for me. In fact, I'm looking into upgrading to a head like an Aguilar to enrich my tone.
    If I were playing in a typical rock-style situation, I'd simply be rocking an 800RB thru a neo loaded cab like the new Ampeg 4x10".