Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gk VS pre/power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Jan 21, 2005.

1. i play in a LOUD blues band and i am deiding between a gk 1001rb II or a pre/power rig. i will be using a avatar 2x12 cab beacuse that is what i own.

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I have a GK 1001RB-II on the way (due Thursday). I just decided to downsize to a dedicated head instead of a rack rig. Avatar cabs are pretty loud, at least the 410 I owned was. You could probably get by for most settings with just the GK especially if you have PA support. I haven't played the 1001, but GK stuff is pretty loud from what I've experienced. The 380W of the 700RB will take you a lot further than many other similarly powered heads, IMO.

You'll certainly get more power from high-wattage power amp and have some flexibility with different preamps if you so choose but they also weigh more, cost more (if you go light-weight at least), and take up more space/require racking. I'd think that the 700W of the 1001 would be more than enough for just about anything if you ran it into the right combo of cabs. Maybe a 212 and a 410 or even a 210. What is the impedance of your current 212?

3. its 8 ohms

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    So add another 8 Ohm cabinet and either set up would be fine and be more modular as well. Smaller gigs, just bring one cab or the other. Bigger ones bring both.

Either amp set up should be more than adequate. ;)

5. well i will eventually get new cabs, im thinken maybe two 1x12 cabs, but that probably wouldnt be loud enough, maybe the new gk neo cabs would be a good choice.

what i basically want is a LOUD portable rig.

6. my currnet rig is the 2x12 cab and a behringer bx3000t which is 300 watts, and tremeber the cab is 8 ohms, and that is almost loud enough, but not quite.