1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK vs. SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rontellion, Mar 7, 2007.

1. rontellion

rontellion

Sep 7, 2004
    So I've been an Ampeg my whole life bassplaying. I've also worked for GC for three years so I know my gear, but here's my question. I'm running two SVT410HE's with my current amp, which is one of those old B2R's (which I've been bypassing with a Sansamp for a pre). I've recently played on SWR 750X and the GK 1001 through my cabs and both sound amazing. The tight low end is what I'm looking for cause I play low but also very melodically.

How do these amps hold up on the road? I'm doing ten shows a month all over texas and I'm worried mostly about how GK's and SWR amps are build. They'll be in a roadready case of course. I think I'm just slow to accept change. :p

Let me know what you think!

2. AAdropout

AAdropout

Feb 13, 2007
    I travel all over Florida with my GK1001RBII and have had no problems, the 750x has tubes in the preamp so that might be something to consider. The deciding factor when I bought the GK over the 750x (price was not the issue) was the weight of the GK, it is 13 lbs lighter, which may not seem a lot, but when you are constantly moving the stuff it is nice to have the lighter stuff, and makes it less likely to be dropped by your noodle arm guitar player.

3. rontellion

rontellion

Sep 7, 2004
    I've already read a ton of bad reviews involving SWR's reliability on the road. GK's is only a slight bit better. I'm pretty careful with my amps though. Thanks for the feedback AA, anybody got anything different??

4. bassface73

bassface73 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Milford, CT
    I have had 2 Mo'Bass heads and a SWR 750 fail while on the road. I would get a SVT 4 Pro and be done with it...