Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK with Acme

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Apr 28, 2005.

1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Ok I ordered two Acme's today! 1 2x10 8ohm and 1 2x10low 8ohm to go with my GK2000rb head (bridge 1000w). I play in a rock band with one guitar player, but not too loud. I have read everything here about the cabs being power hungry etc... but my question is will my amp be pushing a bit to hard to push the cabs? I know it can push the cabs, but will it start to kill my amp slowly by doing so?

Thanks all

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    500 watts a piece is a bare minimum for B2s... Make sure you break the woofers in slowly in accordance with Andy's recommendations. You'll be rewarded with some amazing sounding speakers.

For larger/louder gigs insist on going through the PA and use the Acmes for on-stage monitoring...

3. WCunha

WCunha

Nov 15, 2004
    Agreed. I put 700 watts each into my two LB2s with very good results.

I always usually go through the PA and that was the reason I wanted Acmes in the first place. That wat sound coming out of the Acmes will be very close to what is coming out of the FOH.

4. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    My main rig for a long while was a GK 2000RB into an Acme Low B4 at 8 ohms. That meant that the GK was only putting out about 700 watts, but it was more... WAY MORE... than enough.

That amp into a couple of 8 ohm B2's should rock! I should know; I drove a couple of B2's with my 2000RB before upgrading to a pre/power amp setup.

5. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks guy's!

I just started looking into this forum a few days ago. Great info! It's also good to know that some of you have used this setup for a long period of time without killing the amp.

6. It won't kill the amp. I do recommend, however, that you find something to put between the GK head and the Acme to isolate the head and keep its internals from being vibrated loose. The Acme puts out massive low end and will shake stuff loose, it happened to me. I use an Auralex Gramma pad on top of the Acme and it helps.

7. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks for the pad info!
    Ive had this head (b/new) for about 5years and used it on average 2/3 times a week for practice and giging its fallen a couple of times (its in an SKB case). I've read here quite a bit about the reliabilty issues with these head's. Ive never had a problem, Lucky? or maybe its just a matter of time?

8. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I think the issues most referred to pertained to the early runs of this amp. Mine, for example was sent back to GK for a cooling upgrade, which was performed for free.

I think as they got closer to phasing them out and intro-ing the 2001RB, most (if not all) of the bugs had been sussed out.