1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK+YorkVille+?? help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassike, Apr 17, 2009.

1. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    Hi guys

I hav a Gallien-Krueger 400RB head with a Yorkville BC210
    And I was reading about avatar cabs; and aparentley people realy like them with the GK heads.
    Would you able to recommend me something to get my set up colpelte.

I play metal but I do not wanna start a best metal cab thing cause I’m the kinda guy who knows that whatever bass you like is the right one.
    The thing Is that I do not know anything about amps and cabs and ohms, etc.

I know that I do not look for vintage sound, I’m trying toget something hi fi clear and punchy.

Cheers

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi bassike.

The AVATAR ® B212 Neodymium bass guitar cab (500 watts, 56 lbs.) is popular on TalkBass, and is available in either 8 ohm or 4 ohm versions. The 4 ohm B212 would allow your 400RB to deliver its full 200 watt output.

According to a review of the Avatar B212 and B410 in Bass Guitar Magazine, the B212 is louder.

3. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    Thanks a lot for the info.

The thing that I don’t understand is that, if I Get the Avatar B212 500 watts at 4 ohms
    Would I be able to use it together with the Yorkville 210 300 watts 8 ohms?

I was checking the GK 400RB and it says that it delivers 240 Watts into 4 ohms,
    So It gets me confused cause the Avatar B212 is a 500 watts.

Thanks again

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi bassike.

You would not be able to use the 4 ohm version of the Avatar B212 + the 8 ohm Yorkville 210 because their combined, parallel wired impedance would fall below the GK 400RB's minimum speaker impedance requirement of 4 ohms resulting in possible damage being done to your amp.

A 4 ohm B212 + an 8 ohm 210 = 2.6 ohms. :eek:

If you want to use both cabs with you GK 400RB, then you would have to get the 8 ohm version of the Avatar B212.

An 8 ohm B212 + an 8 ohm 210 = 4 ohms. :)

However, since according to its *downloadable manual, the GK 400RB yields 200 watts RMS at its minimum speaker load impedance of 4 ohms, and since the Avatar B212 can handle 500 watts RMS, if you got the 4 ohm version of the B212 you wouldn't need to use the Yorkie 210 at the same time.

Instead, you could sell the Yorkville 210, or keep it for use as the cab that you leave at your band's rehearsal space (so that you'll only have to carry your bass & 400RB back and forth), or use the 210 as part of your home practice rig, or for low volume gigs, or for leaving at a band member's house for jamming and/or working on songwriting etc.