Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shaunathan32, Jan 30, 2004.

1. shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    I went to my local music store recently and was trying some amps because im planning on getting a new one. I tried the SVT classic and it sounded pretty good but was a little too dull, i then tried the Gallien Krueger 2001RB head through a 610 and then 410 ampeg classic cabinet(s) and thought it sounded good. The first channel was very fuzzy and distorted, i didnt know if maybe the channel was supposed to be distorted. The amp is cheap at 750 dollars there but i havent heard ANY FEEDBACK about it at all. Im torn between the GK2001RB or the mesa boogie 400+. Although i havent played the mesa boogie 400+ ive heard very very good things, near perfect reviews and many heavy rock artist i like use them but ive never heard that amp live. Can some people give me feedback on the GK2001RB please? Thanks. :)

2. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Dear Lord. You went to Elderly Music in Lansing Michigan didn't you? They have a used GK 2001RB listed on their site for $750. I was gonna buy it, but now looks like someone is gonna beat me to the punch. I could discourage you from buying it, but I'd be lying. GK amps are the most amazing amps of all time. Simply put. They're quick, punchy, and clean. A bit clinical which is what I like. I looked at the Mesa 400+ for awhile, and it looked like a good option. I think it'd be louder than the 2001RB and the graphic EQ would be a bit handier than the 2001RB's four band EQ. I'd find a Mesa to try and then decide which you like better. Good Lord I want that head! If I heard right the list price for a new 2001RB is gonna go from $1899-1999.

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    IMO, the GK is a great amp, but the mesa leaves it for dead.
  4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I really like my GK 400. The tone is great and very versatile. That said, I might go for a 400+ over the 2001RB, but only if I had a smaller, more portable head also.
  5. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I have been using a GK 1001 since 1999 and its great never had a problem. As far as mesa goes I would definitely take the GK or a Mesa. :D
  6. shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    indeed it was at elderly instruments in lansing michigan. I went there just last week and it was just sitting there 750 looked and played brand new. I just wish so so much that i could find a mesa 400+ to play around here. Anyone have any soundclips or know where any are at least? just to give me an idea. thanks
  7. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN

Man, you telling me it looked brand new makes me want it more than anything now. Maybe I should sell my Stingray and keep my Jazz for the money.

8. I'd look into the Mesa 400+. It'll be a bit more buck, but ALOT more bang. Probably more volume, and alot better tone. And as for reliability? Don't be fooled. Just because the Mesa is all tube.. doesn't mean it's not reliable. In fact.. i've heard of alot of reliability issues regarding ALL GK stuff, (except their 800RB) and i've heard little to none regarding the Mesa.

If money and weight aren't issues... Hands down the mesa.

Still... the GK is a monster at 40 lbs, and pretty much comparable to the Mesa in weight.

Your issue is cost. There you have it.
  9. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Is the Mesa seriously louder than the GK? All the comparisons I've done have them pretty equal. For $750 I would definitely pick the GK. I think it sells for around $1400 street price new. If you could find a Mesa used the sound would be the deciding factor.
  10. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I don't know about the 400+ eating the 2001RB for lunch or being much louder.I compared my 2001RB to my friends SVT Classic through the same Ampeg 8-10 cab and the 2001RB was way louder and had more of a "push" that you could really feel when he played with his whole band.The Ampeg was definitely warmer but lacked clarity and articulation when played with the whole band.I'm not saying either one is better but the 2001RB can hold it's own against a 300-400 all tube amp due to its massive high-current solid state power section.No tubes to replace every year either.It's all a matter of taste and you just have to go with the one that speaks to you more.......
  11. The 2001RB is a 1080 watt amplifier. It will definitely be much louder than the 500 watt 400+. Tone will obviously be very different. One is a solid state head the other is all tube.
  12. shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    are there any customer reviews for the GK 2001RB that would be available? thanks
  13. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Do a search for "2001RB".I posted a review a while back complete with soundclips.
  14. shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    i really want to hear how the mesa 400+ sounds and theres no dealers holding it around my area. If anyone could help please if you know where any soundclips are of the mesa 400+ please let me know thanks
  15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    100 tube watts will smoke 300-400 solid state watts. Do the math.
  16. I tested your theory today with an all tube Ampeg SVT-II. and a solid state GK 800RB. Both are 300 watts. Of course there were tonal differences to them, but volume between them was about the same. Math done. Your theory did not add up.

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    GO DAN! :hyper: That was too funny. Sorry Tim. Ex-GK guy here that did the same math years ago...
  18. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I agree, having at one time owned both an all-tube SVT-CL, (then an SVT2) & 810E and a G-K 2000RB(1000 w bridged @ 4 ohms) with an SWR Goliath SR 6-10". Many times I would compare them side-by-side. Volume-wise the Ampeg cranked full could'nt keep up with the G-K turned up to 4. Yes, the Ampeg sounded warmer and had that Ampeg tone many of us love. But G-K amps IMHO also sound great in their own way: clean with lots of punch.

By all means try a Mesa 400+ out, try the SVT-CL out-they're both excellent amps- but don't overlook that 2001RB.