Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XxBassmanxX, Jun 5, 2003.

1. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    What do you guys think of GK speakers? I LOVE my 4x10RBH to death. Its a little bulky and weighs a ton (92lbs) but it has a huge sound. Any of you guys have experiances with GK? I never hear anyone talking about them here and i was wondering how you like them. BTW I just bought mine at GC a few weeks ago and ill post some pics of the new rig soon.

Peace!
    Joe

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I like mine well enough. I have a 210RBH and 115RBH cabs powered by a GK1001RB. I spent some cash, and probably could have saved some money looking at cabs other than what they sell at GC, but I was in a bind and needed a rig. I wanted the 410RBH, but I wasn't going to spend $900 on a 4x10. I am into building speakers cabs as a hobby, so I will hopefully be selling the GK cabs one day. Great sound though.
    Wes

3. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    Yeah i know what you mean about the price. Thing is, I had been wanting that GK for a long time. Everytime i go to test new basses and stuff i use the Gk amps. I went in and they were having a sale a while back and i scored the 4x10 RBH brand new for 550. Look me up when you decide to sell your stuff, If Im in a position to buy it I would love to have a 2x10 and 15. I am trying to find a good extension for the 4x10 now so I can have a 4ohm load and get full potential from my mesa. Plus a 15 would be nice for those smaller gigs! Just PM me here or email me sometime at xerxestoos@aol.com

Joe

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Wes, I'm looking to get the exact same rig except I want the 1001RBII head. I have the 1x15RBH cab and a 400RBII 1x15 which I plan to trade in and get a 1001RBII and a 2x10RBH cab. What do you like and dislike about your current rig.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i love GK gear!

reliable, good warm-ish tone, and the heads are very lightweight for gigging. and i really dig Flea's live tone he gets with 'em.

good stuff.

6. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I like that it is modular. I have all the power that I need now, so I figure that you are going to have a super loud setup when you are done! The bass it quick, and not super thick on the bottom by itself, so it doesn't have that droning sound. The bass I use is a Ibanez EDA900, and it doesn't have a super thick bottom end like some basses, so I ended up getting the Tech21 BDDI. With that, I have a warm, solid sound. The cabs can handle lower notes well, I just couldn't get the EQing that I needed to get it to sound like I wanted. Now, its great. The construction is top notch, and I like the tiltback feature of the combo. This cab definately has the ability to cut through with massive midrange and treble (its biampable), but since I am new and my technique sucks, I roll off the mid and high to 12 o'clock. It keeps up with my guitarists 2x12 and loud drummer, which is why I upgraged to the 15" extension. It was a little pricey, but oh well.
    I wish I could tell you more about these cabs. Maybe you should just ask me questions about it instead? I would love to help you in any way I can.
    Later,
    Wes

7. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I just bought a 700RB 210 this week and I am really satisfied.

This combo just keeps wanting to be pushed.
    Also it's very loud! I was playing an eden CXC 210 right next to it and it didn't have as much guts an 55% volume when the GK was only at 25%.

A lot of EQ and voicing filter options.

but one of the best things is how easy it is to move from place to place.

a real work horse.