GK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XxBassmanxX, Jun 5, 2003.

1. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    What do you guys think of GK speakers? I LOVE my 4x10RBH to death. Its a little bulky and weighs a ton (92lbs) but it has a huge sound. Any of you guys have experiances with GK? I never hear anyone talking about them here and i was wondering how you like them. BTW I just bought mine at GC a few weeks ago and ill post some pics of the new rig soon.

Peace!
    Joe

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I like mine well enough. I have a 210RBH and 115RBH cabs powered by a GK1001RB. I spent some cash, and probably could have saved some money looking at cabs other than what they sell at GC, but I was in a bind and needed a rig. I wanted the 410RBH, but I wasn't going to spend $900 on a 4x10. I am into building speakers cabs as a hobby, so I will hopefully be selling the GK cabs one day. Great sound though.
    Wes

3. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    Yeah i know what you mean about the price. Thing is, I had been wanting that GK for a long time. Everytime i go to test new basses and stuff i use the Gk amps. I went in and they were having a sale a while back and i scored the 4x10 RBH brand new for 550. Look me up when you decide to sell your stuff, If Im in a position to buy it I would love to have a 2x10 and 15. I am trying to find a good extension for the 4x10 now so I can have a 4ohm load and get full potential from my mesa. Plus a 15 would be nice for those smaller gigs! Just PM me here or email me sometime at xerxestoos@aol.com

Joe

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Wes, I'm looking to get the exact same rig except I want the 1001RBII head. I have the 1x15RBH cab and a 400RBII 1x15 which I plan to trade in and get a 1001RBII and a 2x10RBH cab. What do you like and dislike about your current rig.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i love GK gear!

reliable, good warm-ish tone, and the heads are very lightweight for gigging. and i really dig Flea's live tone he gets with 'em.

good stuff.

6. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I like that it is modular. I have all the power that I need now, so I figure that you are going to have a super loud setup when you are done! The bass it quick, and not super thick on the bottom by itself, so it doesn't have that droning sound. The bass I use is a Ibanez EDA900, and it doesn't have a super thick bottom end like some basses, so I ended up getting the Tech21 BDDI. With that, I have a warm, solid sound. The cabs can handle lower notes well, I just couldn't get the EQing that I needed to get it to sound like I wanted. Now, its great. The construction is top notch, and I like the tiltback feature of the combo. This cab definately has the ability to cut through with massive midrange and treble (its biampable), but since I am new and my technique sucks, I roll off the mid and high to 12 o'clock. It keeps up with my guitarists 2x12 and loud drummer, which is why I upgraged to the 15" extension. It was a little pricey, but oh well.
    I wish I could tell you more about these cabs. Maybe you should just ask me questions about it instead? I would love to help you in any way I can.
    Later,
    Wes

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Thanks Wes :bassist:

8. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I just bought a 700RB 210 this week and I am really satisfied.

This combo just keeps wanting to be pushed.
    Also it's very loud! I was playing an eden CXC 210 right next to it and it didn't have as much guts an 55% volume when the GK was only at 25%.

A lot of EQ and voicing filter options.

but one of the best things is how easy it is to move from place to place.

a real work horse.