1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK1001 RB-II repair question....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by songwriter21, Oct 14, 2013.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Hey All,

I've had this head since '08, LOVE IT, and I just had the cooling fan replaced, which has been the only problem thus far. Anyway, before, my settings for the GAIN and BOOST were always at about 11. This gave me clean boom, with only a HINT of breakup, how I like it. But, after the repair, I noticed that I had to change these settings, as it was farting noticeably more than before. Luckily, over our gigs this past weekend, I experimented beforehand on Sat, and put the GAIN at 10 with the BOOST between 1 and 2, which gave me "back" my sound. Were the controls' sensitivity right before or now? I guess it's making sense that the pre-gain only needs to be up a ways, and then the BOOST can go past that without too much distortion? Were the GAIN and BOOST at the same levels before, with hardly any distortion, working properly? I'm just curious.

I was talking to my tech, saying that I did have my luthier bump the trim pot up on my bass a little ways back (had to be glued-in for a repair), so maybe that was what did it? This happened a little before my amp stopped working from the fan, and I don't remember the distortion while it WAS still working beforehand.

I hope this isn't confusing, because like I said, I'm just curious as to why I had to make adjustments after the fact.

Thanks,

Ben

2. Changing the output of your bass makes a big difference to the settings needed on your amplifier.

3. I guess the prudent question would be was the replacement fan the correct one? G-K's use a 28vdc fan with a variable speed controller. Excessive voltage drop on that supply rail will affect the FET input stage voltage.

4. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I'm going to the shop tomorrow, so I'll see if it's the right one. They are a GK dealer, so that's more of the confusion.