1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK1001RB enthusiasts...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by agonyfx, Oct 28, 2003.

1. My guitarist just bought a modded used Rivera, and he found a cult-like following (of intelligent users) that explained settings, suggestions on how to use the amp, best-sounding tubes to use, etc. I did a search in TB and the closest I found to 1001 discussions like that is how to make the 1001 sound like the 800 (biamping modification suggestions on non-GK cabs were interesting!). Do you know of any websites dedicated specifically to the 1001? Or maybe just GK heads in general? I've had a 400RB and was satisfied, wanted an 800RB for a bit more power but got the 1001 because it was available, now I just need to maximize its potential.

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I have the RB1001, and would like to see some of those sites too. I really like it, but found that my string brand selection made more difference than my effects or settings. I wish I had thought about it before I bought them. Now they sit unused because the GK is that good.
    Wes

3. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    As I've posted many times around here, I own, use and love my 1001rb. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I swapped out an Ampeg SVP preamp for a 700rb as a backup/practice amp.

I don't know of any sites dedicated to the 1001 in particular.... what kind of info are you looking for? I've been gigging my 1001rb for about 1 1/2 years now (it's about 3 years old or so... bought used) Post some questions you may have and maybe I can offer up some info.

4. Basically, I just want to get to know the amp a little more. More specifically, I also want settings suggestions.
    One example: If I am in a large room with concrete walls, and the PA is not conducive for anything more than the vocalist, what adjustments can I make to the amp settings to combat the affects of the environment?
    Another example: I have a Goliath III 8 ohm cab with 4 Legend BP102 replacements. There is much more low end in them than the original PAS speakers, but all the tone seemed to be sucked out, and now I am drowned in the mix. Is it possible to fix this with the amp? For this, I have resolved to remove the crossover from the cab and just rewire the thing to 4 ohms. Don't worry, I am still looking for a cab that will do the amp justice.
    Another question: I play in a rock band; I do want distortion, but I am really picky. Because I am almost a purist, actually just tone hungry, I use the distortion sparingly, so I want the distortion to be beefy, and not sound like paper or farting. I was happy with my Rick 4001 through the Rat and onto a 400RB, but I no longer have that setup. I have an Ibanez sound gear bass with active pups, and the MXR pedal I was using doesn't do the trick with the current cab. MXR is a great distortion for guitar, but not for bass.
    Does that give you an idea about the range of questions that I have? Of course, I have more. Since I am looking for a better-suited cab, will I be happy with bi-amping? I have never had an opportunity to hear this amp's capability since there is no music store in town that has professional bass equipment. I also don't want to spend a gazillion dollars on equipment. So far, I have spent 1400 bucks to be only halfway where I want to be. (To give you an idea of where I'm at, I just spent $200 on a car. I spent $300 on a Specialized Allez road bike. Yeah, I got priorities, man.)