Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK1001RB enthusiasts...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by agonyfx, Oct 28, 2003.

1. My guitarist just bought a modded used Rivera, and he found a cult-like following (of intelligent users) that explained settings, suggestions on how to use the amp, best-sounding tubes to use, etc. I did a search in TB and the closest I found to 1001 discussions like that is how to make the 1001 sound like the 800 (biamping modification suggestions on non-GK cabs were interesting!). Do you know of any websites dedicated specifically to the 1001? Or maybe just GK heads in general? I've had a 400RB and was satisfied, wanted an 800RB for a bit more power but got the 1001 because it was available, now I just need to maximize its potential.

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I have the RB1001, and would like to see some of those sites too. I really like it, but found that my string brand selection made more difference than my effects or settings. I wish I had thought about it before I bought them. Now they sit unused because the GK is that good.
    Wes

3. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    As I've posted many times around here, I own, use and love my 1001rb. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I swapped out an Ampeg SVP preamp for a 700rb as a backup/practice amp.

I don't know of any sites dedicated to the 1001 in particular.... what kind of info are you looking for? I've been gigging my 1001rb for about 1 1/2 years now (it's about 3 years old or so... bought used) Post some questions you may have and maybe I can offer up some info.

4. Basically, I just want to get to know the amp a little more. More specifically, I also want settings suggestions.
    One example: If I am in a large room with concrete walls, and the PA is not conducive for anything more than the vocalist, what adjustments can I make to the amp settings to combat the affects of the environment?
    Another example: I have a Goliath III 8 ohm cab with 4 Legend BP102 replacements. There is much more low end in them than the original PAS speakers, but all the tone seemed to be sucked out, and now I am drowned in the mix. Is it possible to fix this with the amp? For this, I have resolved to remove the crossover from the cab and just rewire the thing to 4 ohms. Don't worry, I am still looking for a cab that will do the amp justice.
    Another question: I play in a rock band; I do want distortion, but I am really picky. Because I am almost a purist, actually just tone hungry, I use the distortion sparingly, so I want the distortion to be beefy, and not sound like paper or farting. I was happy with my Rick 4001 through the Rat and onto a 400RB, but I no longer have that setup. I have an Ibanez sound gear bass with active pups, and the MXR pedal I was using doesn't do the trick with the current cab. MXR is a great distortion for guitar, but not for bass.
    Does that give you an idea about the range of questions that I have? Of course, I have more. Since I am looking for a better-suited cab, will I be happy with bi-amping? I have never had an opportunity to hear this amp's capability since there is no music store in town that has professional bass equipment. I also don't want to spend a gazillion dollars on equipment. So far, I have spent 1400 bucks to be only halfway where I want to be. (To give you an idea of where I'm at, I just spent $200 on a car. I spent $300 on a Specialized Allez road bike. Yeah, I got priorities, man.)