1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gk1001rb head...gk410rbh cab....to big for pub gigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jesusplaysbass, Nov 7, 2006.

1. jesusplaysbass

jesusplaysbass

Apr 17, 2006
    im looking to upgrade my amp...and ive decided id rather go all out than just take small steps...at the mom ive got a 60w ibanez practice amp and ive been looking into gk... 1001 is 700watts, and im not sure if i should do that or get the 700rb 480watt head? id never use the full 700 in any gigs i can see my self doing in the next year, but how would it sound turned down low...anyone have experience with this head/cab?

any other advise?

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Yep. For the extra $100 you're crazy not to buy the 1001. I've done plenty of quiet gig's with a 1001, and it's sweet, you just keep the boost & master down a little farther ...

3. Yup, you can always turn down the volume :D

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    If you get the 8-Ohm version of the 410RBH, you wouldn't be getting the full power out of either head anyway. Regardless, that combo (whether or not you get the 4-Ohm or 8-Ohm cab) can be easily tweaked from quiet to loud using something called the "volume knob" :smug:

All you have to do is tweak all four of your volume knobs (your instrument's volume knob, the GK head's Input Level knob, the GK head's Boost knob for some growl and extra boosting, and the GK head's Master Volume knob) to get the exact volume you desire.

I'd say, go for the 1001RB-II. You can never go wrong with spare headroom, and it's a head you'll probably never replace, unless your tastes change or some freak accident occurs.

5. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    yeah, its a pretty good head. plenty of power, decent eq, reasonably light. good price. just turn down the volume knob, and you're set.

6. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to what these other dudes said.

There is no such thing as "too big" when you've got a master knob.

Also, I'm wishing I would have gone all out instead of take small baby steps in upgrades... would have saved me a ton of money but oh well

7. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    check out www.rmcaudio.com for both of those heads. I bought my 700RBII from them and saved $100. You have to ask for a quote, but it is well worth it if they still have the deals.

8. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I just bought one from RMC Audio and it's supposed to get here tomorrow! I'm really excited because this will be the first "real" amp I've ever owned. By the way, I got a quote for $600 even for the 1001rb-II. It lists for $750, and that's what you would have to pay at GC or a similar music store. They might discount it for you a little bit, but I doubt you would get $150 off.

9. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I got my 1001 for $600 new out the door. Well worth it, IMO.

10. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    the head will be fine....it's better to have too much power and not need it then to need power and not have it...

as far as the RBH cabs go i think they are a tad big if you are concerned about size...they have big ports and they are 6 sided (kick back deal) which takes up more room...they sound great though....

11. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    That's a no brainer to me - get the more powerful head and 4x10. Like some have already said - there is a volume knob ;)

12. I printed up the quote from RMC and took it to GC to see if they could beat it, and they matched it, and threw in some shwag. So for $600+tax I got the GK, a set of strings, a Roadrunner gigbag, and a cable.
    C7