1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gk1001rb, help me get a raw rock overdriven tone...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DrowningBrian, Apr 9, 2010.

1. DrowningBrian

DrowningBrian

May 21, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    my eq settings are:
    input volume: 12
    contour: 12
    presence: 9
    treble: 12
    hi mid: 10
    lo mid: 10
    bass: 12
    boost: 100%
    woofer: 9-10( i use woofer for overall volume)
    woofer hi cut: in

this is the best sound ive got from this amp, but its still too middy and bass isnt very defined..
    im using an ampeg 8x10 cab. its at the drummers house i only get to play it 3 times a week. :(
    im looking for a raw overdriven type sound. i loved my old svt-cl but it was SOO heavy.
    im using a sans amp bass driver, but i would like to just use the amp.
    any suggestions???
    should i try less boost and more woofer?

2. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    If it's to mid heavy, turn down the mids. That amp isn't really designed to overdrive. It can get gritty, but not overdriven.

3. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    I use mine with the boost set at about 9o'clock and the woofer set about 3 o'clock and use the pre for overall volume.

4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Sounds like what you need is a tech 21 "sansamp" vt bass pedal. that pedal can give you that overdriven bass tone that you're looking for.

5. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    The gk growl is gonna happen when you hit the rails at the poweramp..... you've gotta crank that beast to make it grunt. But that's where the problem lies with the 1001..... you've gotta have the master/woofer up to about 2:00 and boost up to at least 2:00...... but then it's just ear drum shattering loud.

And for me, when it comes to the tone, all bets are off when you run the pregain above 11:00 on the rb heads. I can't get anything pleasing above 11:00.... it starts clipping the pre.

If you just want to use the amp for some grunt, then you really need to go smaller on the gk head...... maybe the 700rbII or even the 400rbIV.

And a big +1 on the vt pedal. I just finally got one..... incredible.

6. DrowningBrian

DrowningBrian

May 21, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    damn, this shit sounds amazing now! crazy loud but good. thanks dude!!! :hyper:
    almost sounds better than my old svt-cl.
    i set the input volume to 10, boost to 12, and master at about 2. you really do have to push the power amp to get these heads to sing. haha.

7. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I LOVE my newly aquired 400RBIII. It has all kinds of growl and makes things fall off shelves across the room. The preamp doesn't clip like the 1001RBII either. With a pick, it's absolutely what I want to hear. I play with all knobs straight up into a SVT-410HLF (tweeter halfway up on the cab as well). The bass I use makes a big difference in my sound too. To me, a opened up midrange/topend is where it's at with this amp.

8. Never could get a growl out of my GK1001RBII, it just seemed to want to give a clean bass tone. Actually, my only complaint with that amp, otherwise it's a trouble free workhorse.

9. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN

Very cool!

Enjoy!