Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK1001RB-II owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Doug Parent, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Any of you folks carry the 1001 around in some sort of gig bag?
    Does the 1001 come with a handle? (Not the rack handles but an actual handle that mounts on one side of the amp)
    Ever have any issues using a two conductor speakon cable going to a non-GK cabinet?
    Any present GK owners who were prior Eden owners? Are you in regret?
    Thanks and happy holidays.

2. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Yes. I use this: http://www.riksmusic.com/gallien-krueger/700-bag.htm. I also use this: SKB Roller Speaker Bag. I'm able to fit both my Schroeder 1210 cabinet along with the 1001RB-II (in the GK bag listed above) in the main compartment, and use the outer pouch to store my cables, stand and other misc. stuff.

Again, Yes. It's on the left hand side of the amp.

No. I use a two conductor speakon to connect mine to the Schroeder... Works great.

Not a prior Eden owner, but I did consider (and had a chance to play through) a WT400 prior to purchasing my GK. I liked it a lot (especially it weighing only 13lbs)... I just liked the 1001RB-II more.

Your welcome and Happy Holidays right back atchya!

- Frank.

3. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    I will be getting one of these in the coming weeks,(thank God for impregnating mary and creating chrstmas!)

my question is. Do you use the Bi-Amp feature? and if so, how do you like it?

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I put mine in an SKB roadcase. I owned an Eden, and my only regret is that I didn't get a GK sooner! Seriously, it's all a matter of preference. I've had 2 Edens die on me on stage, and I vowed never to go back.

5. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    1) SKB rack
    2) Don't know, but the 700rb I carry around with out a rack has one, and it is the most convenient thing ever, since I don't really sweat the 700rb being banged up.
    3) no
    3) Had some eden gear, not really my cup of tea. I got a SWR sm900 which is nice, good sound. Do like the GK better

6. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    No I don't use it. To use it, you'd need to do one of the following:

1. Get a GK cab that already comes wired to take advantage of the Bi-Amp capability of the 700RB/1001RB

2. Rewire another cabinet to bypass it's own internal crossover and connect the horn to +2/-2 on the speakon on the cab.

3. Make a special 4 conductor Y-Cable that has a singe speakon on one end leading to two separate speakons on the other end, both having the leads terminating at +1/-1 (making sure you label the correct one as the "Tweeter" lead). This would allow you to hookup your bass cabinet to the woofer speakon and a separate horn to the tweeter speakon.

Since the horn in my Schroeder is so smooth, I don't see the need for me to bother re-wiring it to accomodate the bi-amp feature.

In regards to regrets, I only have two (if you can call them regrets), 1) I would have liked to have checked out a Thunderfunk... I've yet to hear a negative review on it. 2) spending so much time on TalkBass... Reading the opinions and experiences of so many others often causes you to second guess your gear choices and tends to cause severe cases of GAS ;)

- Frank.

7. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Frank, I hear ya on that GAS syndrome. By the way thanks for the detailed response regarding the speaker cable. Thats pretty clever.

I actually have not purchased a GK yet, I'm only considering it at this time. I'm looking at the TFB420 as a possible alternative. Since the price difference is roughly $300, its worth a second look at the GK. The GK power advantage is a compelling factor for me.

I have an Eden 800 head and am tired of the rack scenrio to death.
    I love the idea of an amp head with a handle, and a single bag that I throw over my shoulder with the head, and all my cables and mic together.

As always I appreciate everyones feedback. Hope everyone gets HUGE New year$ gig$!

8. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    FWIW, my 700rb really has all the juice I needed. I imagine the 700RB series II was a nice upgrade. Depending on what you do, maybe that is an option.

9. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i use the 1001rb-II with an avatar 410neo. i ordered some 2pole speakon connectors from ebay (4 for like $13.00 shipped) and made my own cable using 14gauge ultra flex (low temp flex) 3conductor extension cord i got from home depot! ( i simply didn't use the 3rd conductor)

anyway,
    i love this amp, and the 410 neo sounds dynomite!

10. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    What styles of music are you guys playing?
    Frank how do you like your Schroeder? Which one do you have?
    thanks, Doug

11. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Years ago I played in bar bands, mostly hard rock. Did a stint for a couple of years in a wedding band doing top 40 hits from the 70's and 80's. These days I seem to be playing more and more contempory Christian praise music. I just recently joined a band that takes popular praise songs and mashes them together with rock, pop and punk tunes from the 80's and 90's. I know, it sounds like a strange mix, but most of the arrangements are pretty cool and it's a real kick in the pants doing a medley going from Bonjovi to Nirvana to Franz Ferdinand to No Doubt leading into "Father Abraham". You can check out a few of the tunes here. This stuff was recorded with their old bassist before I joined. We plan on doing some more (and hopefully better) recordings in February or March of 2005.

The Schroeder I have is a 1210, which has a front firing 12" and an angled 10". I wouldn't have believed it but you really can replace a 2x10" + 1x15" stack with this thing. It's very loud, very punchy with good solid lows (handles the low B on my Cirrus with no problem whatsoever)and really nice low mids all which project pretty far out in the audience. The other nice thing about it is that you can still hear it really well pretty much all over the stage even without the cabinet being angled up at you.

- Frank.

12. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I also use the carry bag made for the 700RB-1001RB. I got it from Riks music. A great convenient way to carry around my 1001RBII. I did use a Eden WT-800 for about 5 years. I never really felt it was the sound I was looking for. Since Eden wasn't that well known at the time, I took a bath when sold it. I did keep the cabinets for a while after (2X10XLT). I must say, I really did like the booty those boxes delivered, but since I got my little Bergantino's I have forgotten all abut them.

13. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Hey Jerry, What sort of differences would you comment on between the Eden and GK soundwise? And what style of music do you play?
    I'm finding the Eden a little dark or "not clear" or like a blanket was thrown over the speaker unless you start cranking treble. But it sure has low end booty for days. Do you agree at all? Thanks. -Doug

p.s-Frank, you have an interesting gig for sure! Sounds fun. Thanks for sharing your two cents, and everyone else thus far too.

14. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I also would use the word dark to describe my experiences with the Eden WT-800. I never really had any clarity issues with it, but it just didn't do it for me. Something in the mids that always bothered me! I then switched to a GK400 RB, and the sound I was looking for from the 2-10XLT's was now obtainable. At the time I was playing in a original pop country group. Since I basically am a rock player at heart, I prefer more of a hi-fi type sound. The GK in my opinion, (for what that's worth) has very strong presence in the upper mids. Some players do not like this sound while others, including myself love the way it cuts. As I mentioned before, I complete my rig (1001RBII) with the Berg. HT/EX 112 pair. Currently I play in a high energy pop rock band. I still am amazed at the tone that comes out of this set up. If what you seek is low end that moves your pants this isn't for you. If however you desire CLEAN, DISTINCT lows, with mids and highs that cut like hell in a mix, this could be exactly what you are after.

15. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Jerry, I have to assume that pants flappin lows aren't even possible by virtue of the fact that your using the small bergie 12's. I'm hoping I'd get plenty of low end from a GK1001RB II with a Bergie 2-10. I'm looking for the wrong head maybe? I want tight lows, but I want them to be full round and fat as well. If the GK is the wrong animule then I'd be happy to hear about it before I buy one.

16. The GK head is fully capable of giving you all the lowend you could possibly want. You can either turn the bass up or press in the 4/5 string button to extend the low end response. Also, you can mellow out the mids with the variable contour knob. That's one of the great things about the 1001RB-II. It's versitile but still simple.

17. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Daniel, thanks for your input. I realize you have a unique opportunity to know GK equipment close up. Any comments on the Neo 112 cab? Any idea when thats going to hit the retail level? thanks, Doug

18. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I probably didn't quite explain my point. It's not the head that prevents the pants flap. The little Bergies although tight and articulate aren't really the boxes for that type of sound. Nor was it sound I was after. I'm sure the GK would have no problem in that dept. It has gobs of headroom to be sure! I have used just about every speaker combination from 8X10's to 4X15's throughout the years. If you want that thick gooey bottom, go with different cabs than the little Bergs. I knew as soon as I played through my current set up, I finally found what I was after. No more being told, too much mud, or to brittle, or you're loud but I can't hear you! The compliments I have been given since aquiring this rig have come from all across the board. From drummers, to singers, to sound engineers, to guitar players they all describe the sound in similar terms. And I thought it was just me. If you really aren't sure that is the head for you, I suggest buying it from a place like Guitar Center that has a pretty liberal return policy. They say different stokes for different folks. I say mine is GK :)

19. The Neo cabs are out on the market now. But you won't be able to get them through GC. Contact one of the online dealers if you don't have a local independent dealer near you.

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    +1