Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK1001rb ii vs Ashdown Spyder 550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IPYF, Mar 23, 2014.

1. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    I'm in the process of downsizing my amp rig due to numerous factors. I recently hurt myself and I also live upstairs so my old 4x10 is now way too big for me and my little car to handle.

Fortuitously I've managed to get a gig with a much quieter band than my old one. It's a 50s/60s act which plays really quietly (sub-earplug level) so I no longer require my rig to be whopping in the slightest.

I've agreed to buy my friend's Ashdown MAG 210t for next to nothing. It's a little cab and perfect for my size needs, but a very dangerous pairing for the GK1001ii I currently own which obviously has far more power on tap than the MAG cab can be expected to cope with.

I've got two options:
    1. Play with the GK and be merry, be super careful not to skewer my cheap cab and walk away with $100 cash after I sell my old 410.
    2. Sell my GK and pick up a much more modestly rated head, such as the Ashdown Spyder 550 which is currently being run out at my local store. End up with a much less capable but safer rig overall, with around $7-800 of profit.

Thoughts?