Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK1001RB VS GK1001RB II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peekypoo, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Ok, I was trying out some new gear,and stumbled upon the new GK1001RB II .

Played it through a 410 GK cab ,,( I have finally found the ultimate tone for myself).

I had the salesperson hook up a 410HLF with the GK head .
    The salesperson fiddled around with the speakon cable while the head was on ..Poof !! , Big puff of smoke came out of the fan , and that was it for the fan ,the head kept running ,and kicked major but. I had the volume under three,and this head just wanted to shake the walls down.

Now for the discontinued GK 1001RB ," Can I expect the same ass kickin power from this head also ?
    :help:

2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    sounds like the sales guy blew the horn amp by connecting to a regular speaker cab with the GK cable. NO-NO. Thats the only comment I have, can't actually answer your question though. GKs sound great eh?

3. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Interesting... I've never had any problems with my GK 1001RB although I've used a different Speakon cable than what GK gave me. Did they have a warning somewhere not to use their cable on non-GK cabs?

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Depends. If the Speakon cable only has +/- 1 connected, all should be great. If some idiot made the cable and basically has 1 and 2 shorted together, you may be screwed, but the cables are not supposed to be made that way. Likewise, cabs are only supposed to use +/-1. 2 is not supposed to be connected unless it's specifically designed to make use of the second line like the GK heads/cabs.

Bottom line is, know your wiring.

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Not quite. The older one is only 540W, and the newer one is 700W. They added power with the MK II.

So, while the older one will kick butt and sound great, it will not be quite as loud.

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I can give you a quick comparison of the older 1001rb and the 1001rb II. I used the first generation 1001rb for about three years with Eden cabs. I just bought a new 1001rb II a month ago and have been gigging with it (with Eden cabs and/or an EA CXL 1-12). Naturally I also demoed the head at the store before buying it; I think that it was connected to a Neo 2-12 and 1-15.

The newer model has the following differences as compared to the older model:

more power - 700 watts into 4 ohms compared to 540. this provides a noticable increase in headroom over the previous model.

low end which is fuller/fatter and extends to lower frequencies compared to the older model.

the highs and upper mids sound more refined and Hi Fi to my ears, but still with a good amount of warmth. The highs of the older model were sometimes brittle and less refined sounding, depending on settings. The new head also sounded as if the highs extended a bit further into the airy range, but still with a refined musical tone. This head is not dry or sterile sounding.

These tonal differences are somewhat subtle and are not what I would call a "night and day type of difference"; but they are noticable to the discerning listener.

The head packs a nice punch and provides excellent tone capabilities, all in a small light weight package.

:hyper: :bassist: :D :bassist: :hyper:

7. For 399.00 at my local :eyebrow: music store preowned .

I just have to try this one out ..( The GK 1001RB)

8. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Don't say we didn't warn you. My 1001rb-II rules.

9. I have a 1001.5 . It is a 1001 RB with the preamp section of of the mark II. The added 160 watts (max power) is nice but somewhat negligible. Good sounding amps either way. The mark II is somewhat warmer sounding.

10. Wow, this 1001RB rocks the ****e out of my 410HLF . :eek:

Plenty of power for me .. :D

11. I owned a 1001RB, and after getting an endorsement I got a 1001RB-II. The only major difference is the II has more watts. The original 1001 had tons of headroom, and I think youll wind up liking more and more as time goes by (peekypoo). That GK stuff rocks, and Im glad I found it. I switched from Eden.

12. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I just paid exactly that, tax included for one. Played it at the store with a Backline 210 and a Fender FMT 5 string. Knocked my socks off.

Peace,

James

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

Where did you get the MKII preamp section, by chance. I have been thinking about doing that....

14. The preamp board in my 1001 went bad so GK upgraded it at the factory under warranty. They were really cool about it. Fast too. It was returned to me in about 2 1/2 weeks before my local repair center would have even looked at it. If there isn't anything wrong with your preamp I probably wouldn't bother upgrading though just because there isn't that big of a difference in the pre's. Is there anything wrong with your amp?

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Nope, just wanting to fiddle around with it. I did a lot of tpone stack mods, and a few other things on my tube guitar amp. I just wanted to get my hands dirty.

16. If you want to buy the preamp board and put it in you can. I think it's aobut $90 or so. If you do this, it will void any warranty you may have. Keep in mind that upgrading the preamp board does not increase the power. You would also have to replace the power amp board and transformer.

17. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Daniel,

This is off topic a bit, but I dropped my 1001RB-II on it's side while it was in the GK softcover bag, but the casing still bent on the front left corner (thankfully the amp appears to still be working fine). I bent it back using a pair of vice grips, but it's still not perfect and I'm afraid the rack ears won't fit correctly should I decide to ever put them back on.

If I wanted to replace the casing, can you tell me how much that would cost and what part # it would be?

Thanks,

Frank.

18. Flanders

Flanders

Oct 30, 2002
    Reno, NV
    I have the 1001 RB II head and a 2x10 1001 RB Combo. I killed the little luggage rack handlebar on the combo. I hope it can be fixed...

19. If you're really looking for a variation on the GK sound, you should check out the Diesel Dawg. That thing is sweet.

20. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Just this morning, I played my brand new 700RB-II back to back with my 700RB Mark I through a GK Neo112, which is probably a similar comparison. I hear exactly the same differences, but I don't think they're subtle. I noticed them immediately when I played the new model, and confirmed it with the back to back comparison. The new one sounds considerably warmer and more "musical" (less sterile) throughout the frequency spectrum (but especially at the low end), and it seems like it has way more power, even though the jump is from 225 to 320 watts @ 8 ohms.

The preamp also seems more robust. With the Mark I, my passive Precision with a high output DiMarzio Model P causes clipping at low input levels, so I have to use the -10db pad. Not so with the Mark II. No clipping at all, even with the input at fairly high levels. (By the way, another change is that the pad is now -14db -- a very good idea with all the active fivers out there.)

It's a way better match for the Neo112, and I wonder whether GK had the Neo series cabinets in mind when it introduced the new RB heads.

I commented on the difference in an e-mail to GK, and was told the EQ was "re-voiced" over the summer. Seems like they did a great job to me.

But I wish the little pushbuttons were more durable. The tuner mute button failed only the second time I used the head. Same thing happened with the -10db pad on my first 700RB. At least it's an easy fix.