Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK1001RBI again...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ErnieD, Jun 26, 2005.

1. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    What the F***again??? I took this amp out to the gig last nite. I was planning to run 2 avatar cabs, B210 & B212,
    (8 ohms each). I've been using the single speakon cable, that came with the GK amp when I bought it new about 4yrs ago, with the single B212 or single SWR 4x10 with no problems. I was using the B210 for the first time last nite and I wanted to use 2 speakons instead of my usual 2 1/4" cables. Wednesday I went to local music store and had them make 2 speakon cables out of this one 8ft speakon cable. The guy was kinda surprised when he removed the existing speakon end to find it was connected using all four wires, he says they usually just use 2 wires. So he connected the 2 new speakon ends same as the existing ends. Anyway, I turned the GK amp on at the gig and the green power lite comes on as usual. The amp stayed on about 1 hour til it was time to play. I hooked up my Sray 5 and turned off the mute button. When I struck the bass string, the red protect lite came on, in a second the green lite is on, so I struck the string and the red lite comes on again. It did this four times with out uttering a sound just a small thud as the amp went to protect mode. Since I just got the used B210 Tuesday, I hooked up both speakers with this amp using the 2 1/4" cables so it seems the amp and speakers were fine at home. Luckily, knowing the GK's past problems of shutting down at gigs I brought my GBE 600 to be safe. So I hooked the GBE up to the 2 cabs using the newly made speakons, it played all nite fine. Should I have not cut this speakon to make 2 cables out of it? The battery might have been a little weak on the SRay, could this send to the amp into protect mode? This amp has been in 2 local repair shops for this same problem, the second time it seemed to have been repaired and has been playing fine when used with single cab. Only other thing is that we were outdoors at an icehouse and it was damn hot outside, I could not feel the fan running on the amp but it is supposed to be a variable speed fan, maybe it was running very low. Don't really know since I was not able to paly on it at all last nite. Any thoughts out there? Very frustrating :bawl:

2. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    it's at the bottom of page 6. you should NOT connect a gk bi-ampable amp to a non-gk bi-ampable cab using the 4 conductor cable- it is bad for the amp and the cabs. if you just use a 2 conductor cable, you'll just use the woofer amp, but the 4 connector cable engages the tweeter amp and can damage your amp and/or cabs. the manual is your friend. :bassist:

3. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Well thanks for that referral but I'm on dial up and it is taking forever to load that manual, 16 pgs. But now I do recall the back of my amp has the words FOR 540 WATTS ONLY above the 2 - 1/4" inputs. So were you trying to tell me that I can only use 2 1/4" cables with this amp when I use 2 cabs? Cause when I use a single cab with the speakon cable, the amp seems to work fine. Like I said above when I hooked this amp and 2 cabs with 1/4" cables at home it did fine. I have my manual that came with my amp so I'll dig it up and read thru it again. I also recall the manual saying something about the biamping with GK cabs only, but if I am off base here can you clarify what your attempting to point out to me. Thanks, E.

4. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I just saw your post after I replied to pyro. I see what y'all are saying. Now, should I not have had that speakon cable spliced to make 2 out of it? Can I still use the 2 cables that I now have with my GBE 600, it ran OK last nite, or did I ruin the cable already. Thanks for the replies. E.

5. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    yeah, you can use the 1/4' cables, as long as it doesn't go lower than a 4 ohm load (2 8ohm cabinets or 1 4ohm cabinet). if you want to use speakon cables, get 2 conductor ones... :bassist:

6. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Geez I just paid this guy like $20 to make me 2 cables, so have I renderd it unusable now. Can I go back and have him rewire these 2 new 4 wire speakon cables just to 2 wire cables? Guess I need to call him and ask him this, though when I asked him the day he was making me the 2 cables, if these being 4 wire instead of the typical 2 wire would that cause a problem using it with other than my amps. He said, Nah. At least I still have my 2 - 1/4" cables to use if I don't want to spring for yet 2 more speakon cables. Thanks again for your replies. Guess I better go unload the amps and cabs out of my SUV now and see if all still works. E.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    FWIW 4 conductor speakons are used to send 2 separate signal to the speaker cab. GK cabs (RBH, SBX) cabs are bi-ampable. You can use the separate tweeter amp in the 1001rb/700rb head to run just the tweets in thes cabs while the woofer amp runs just the woofers. Now nobody else I know makes this type of head or cab, when these other cabs have tweets in them they are still "full range cabs" meaning you cannot separate the signal from the drivers regardless of the use of a speakon cable. This is why they tell you to use a 2 conductor cable which will basically be a 1/4 patch cord

8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    your 4 pole speakon connectors are numbered on the inside of the connector, 1+, 1-, 2+, 2- . Make sure your only using 1+ and 1- with your non-GK cabinets and you'll be fine. 4 conductor cable can be used but only by twisting "pairs" together (both "+" wires connected to the "1+" connector, and both "-" cables wired to the "1-" connector)

Anything connected to the #2 connectors engages the tweeter amp when you plug into the GK head. I think this has been covered before.

9. It sounds to me that the cables are not properly wired. Open up both ends and make sure that 1+ goes to 1+ and 1- goes to 1- on the other side. Disconnect 2+ and 2- on both sides and that should fix it. My guess is that one of the cables has crossed poles.

As a precaution, it's best to only use 2 pole speakon cables with non GK cabinets. Sometimes it will work fine, but sometimes the cabinet manufacturers wire something to 2+ or 2- in which case it's going to cause problems.

10. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    four your informative replies. I knew about the GK head/cabs having the bi-amp capabilities, never owned any GK cabs. Just never tried using this speakon cable that came with my GK amp since I bought it. I asked some here awhile back if I could use this cable as I would a regular 1/4" and got back go ahead replies. Now until this past Sat nite I'd only been using this cable with single cabs with either my GK head or my GBE head and no problems occurred. So I will go back and see if this guy can reconnect this speakon cable so that I can use it, otherwise just back to my 1/4" cables. Thanks again. E.

11. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    ive been using a GK700RBII and GK speakon cable with an ampeg 8x10 cabinet for over a year now, playing every night some months. no issues at all.

12. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I was just trying to utilize this speakon cable that I had lying around. Hell its an 8ft speaker cable, so I figured just cut it in half and ya got 2 4ft cables. Guy at store just told me I need to come in and just buy 2 connector cable so he can put these 4 speakon ends on them to make my 2 cables. Sometimes when you try to go cheap it ends up costing you more. No biggee I'll go back to store and see what we can work out. But again thanks for all your replies and suggestions. You guys/gals are the best man. Later, E.