GK1001RBII or Eden Wt550?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CLJMB, Aug 28, 2005.

1. CLJMB

CLJMB Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2005
    North Alabama
    Which one? GK is almost half the price, is the Eden worth it?
  2. Personally I would rather the eden.
  3. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Definitely the Eden.
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    That's a win/win proposition. I've owned an Eden WT400, and I've owned a GK1001RBII. Both great amps. Since the WT550 is essentially a higher powered WT400, I'm pretty familiar with both. If I HAD to choose, I'd probably take the Eden, but either one are fine amps.
  5. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I had a WT800 for years. One night I grabbed my old GK400RB on the way out the door. The Eden went up for sale the next day. I now have a GK 1001RBII that I love.
  6. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    have you had a chance to play both heads? the eden has warm fat lows with modern punch/snap. makes for a great versitle head. the GK doesnt have a tube pre amp so the lows arent as warm but GK's cut thru the mix very very well and have excellent note definition. it all depends on what kinda sound youre after.
  7. What sort of bass do you play? What sort of sound do you want?
    I've always thought GK were voiced to suit Fender basses - if I played a P-Bass I'd own one, but they make my Warwick sound too coloured. On the other hand, Eden amps tend to be more neutral - if your bass sounds good on its own through studio monitors, you will probably like the way it sounds on stage through an Eden (will will also highlight any problems with your instrument or technique).

What speakers are you planning to use with it? If you go with the WT550 I'd highly recommend Eden speakers to play it through.
  8. CLJMB

CLJMB Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2005
    North Alabama
    I play a passive Kinal 5 with P/J pickups. I mainly use the P pickup and usually play fingerstyle. I would use the amp primarily in a fairly loud rock band with a Schroeder 1210.
  9. Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Definitly two different, but great sounds - you should really just try to play both and see what floats your boat. You probably wouldn't even need a side-by-side to compare (e.g when I heard my first SWR, well that was it for me.)

If you play in a loud rock band, you may simply need the extra wattage the Gk providess. I was never confident in all situations 'til I had 800watts. YMMV of course.

But if the Eden sound is what really gets you off, you'll probably never be satisfied until that's what you get; in which case I'd take an extra job, sell some stuff, whatever it took to get that at an appropriate wattage.
  10. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    It's not really a matter of whether or not the Eden is "worth it", it's more a matter of what works best for you. I went with the 1001RB-II because it turned out to be the sound that I was looking for. Eden is a different beast alltogether... Chances are you'll definately prefer one over the other, so you really should play through both. If you lean towards the warm, fat side of the spectrum you're going to like the Eden better, if you're more of a punch/kick you in the chest kind of guy, then the GK is for you.

- Ugly.