Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK2B + GI-20 + fretless?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gerk, May 18, 2004.

1. Gerk

Gerk

May 18, 2004
    Toronto
    Hey everyone ... great resource. I can't believe I haven't stumbled in until now...

I'm seriously considering it's MIDI time and was thinking GK2B + GI-20 .. but i really want to use my fretless (73 jazz) and unsure on how it will/will not track

If anyone has info to shed on the subject I would love to hear advice ;) I'pve done lot of searching and think this is my most viable option (I don't want to mod the instrument so RMC is out :/ )

TIA

2. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Hi,

I am selling my Roland V-bass with he GK pickup. I installed it on my fretted fender jazz and found it was a very easy installation with no mods to be made to the bass. The tracking is the best there is right now. No delay in tracking from what I can hear.

I am not sure what your goal is with regards to placing it on a fretless bass (?). I also have a fretless Jazz but preferred the unit on my fretted.

I waited so long for this unit and just never use it.

3. Gerk

Gerk

May 18, 2004
    Toronto
    Thanks, but what I'm really looking for is a MIDI controller (the V bass setup doesn't provide this).

I'm trying to get the flexibility of using a fretless (expression, etc) but triggering to MIDI.

From what I can glean from docs and others that have tried these units is that it should work, but no one knows what the tracking would be like and was wondering if anyone out there had tried this first hand or not... it only makes sense that it might track slowly on a fretless (my intonation is good but not that good, hard to get accurate right down to the cents ;) ) but not sure just how much it will slow things down.

I've ordered the unit regardless, if it doesn't work well on my fretless I'll install it on a fretted and be happy (I hope). The reviews I've gotten so far say that it tracks great with the fretted basses and it would be a great addon for me any way you look at it, tracking from bass/guitar to MIDI for me is worth it in any way/shape/form for studio stuff, and also I play in a 3 piece act live so if I could add the occasional horn shots, samples, or fatten up my live sound on demand I'll be happy.

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Gerk, did you ever finish this setup? Im interested in doing the same thing to my newly defretted Ibanez and was wondering what results you might have seen with the fretless and roland gear?

5. Gerk

Gerk

May 18, 2004
    Toronto
    I did end up doing this setup. It'sa neat toy, but it's not really something too usable live (unless you're just looking to add a sound effect here and there). Even with a really tweaked out setup there are still latencies that are not consistant ... when you're playing by yourself it sounds like you could alsot get things flowingk, try playing with a metronome and it's a whole different deal. . .

So all in all I'm pretty happy with it as far as tracking goes.. it tracks better on my fretless than it did on some of my fretted basses... but if you're looking for a tight/solid response for live performance then it's probably not what you ar e looking for!

HTH

Mark

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thanks a bunch for the reply. I was also needing a synth unit for midi sound banks, like horns for example. What would you recomend for that? Or is there an option where I wouldnt need the GI-20 and could go directly to something with sound banks? And do you know if maybe the GK-3B might track better?

I've also read about Axon, what do people think about them as far as tracking latencies and stuff?