Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK400 RB IV...or 700 RB II?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JohnPativens, Mar 4, 2006.

1. JohnPativens

JohnPativens

Sep 20, 2005
    Italy
    Hello everyone,

I'm going to get a new head; I think I'll go for a GK-RB.
    I tried a GK400 RB IV and I was impressed by its power :eek: . With a markbass 4x10 cabinet (8ohm, 400RB was supplying 180W) it was really loud. Go figure how loud it is, working at 4ohm with its 280W :)
    Now, I think that's enough if used as on-stage bass monitor
    then sending its D.I. to PA system. But, would it be enough power playing in a rock context, in small/medium clubs without PA? Should I go for 700RB II?

Thanks

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've owned th 400. it is amazing. but if in doubt go for the 700. It's nice to have the headroom.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The 700rb-II is a different beast and IMO a better one.

EDIT: see second post.

<3

4. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Get the one with the most headroom you can afford. Period.

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I started off with a 400RBIII, then I went up to a 1001RB. This week I went up again to a 1001RBII (woo hoo!):) I will keep the 1001RB for a backup;) Like said above, get what your bucks call for!

6. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    the 700 is an amazing amp. best one i ever had. go for that one.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I have a 400RB-III, looking to upgrade soon to the 700RB-II or 1001RB-II sometime soon. IMO the tone is just about identical on both (Sorry to step on toes Figjam) but they use the same preamp design. The only difference in the 400, 700 and 1001RB is the power ratings pretty much.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ooop, no problem. As it is, i for some reason thouht he was talking about the 800rb.

The 400 isnt very different from the 700.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, now the 700 and 800 are TOTALLY different monsters. I love them both.

10. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    I just picked up a used (like new) 400rb-IV as a small easy to move back up for when i play with other people at they,re place and have to bring a head . It's a cool little amp i was surprised by its power. Like I said its a back up for jamming and stuff like that , I leave it in the car for gigs just incase some thing would happen to my main rig I have a way to finish the night. Now If this is going to be your main amp I would go with the 700 or 1001 having to much power availible is way better then not having enough If you look around you can pick up a used 700 pretty cheap

11. JohnPativens

JohnPativens

Sep 20, 2005
    Italy
    Thanks for answering! :)

Those of you who are using a 400RB IV, have you ever had problems in getting enough volume (I mean, playing live)?

12. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    O.k., Now STOP!

1. Those are both great heads.

2. Get the most power you can afford.

3. Don't try to just 'get by'. Make sure that you have enough power.

If you can afford it, get the 700RBII

:D

Joe.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    +1 Listen to this guy! I started with the 400RBIII (great head) then went with the 1001RB, I'm currently using the 1001RBII as my main head with the 1001RB for a back up! You may run into situations where you may need more power in turn up the 400 head, it will get slightly louder but will not sound more powerful. The power is what's going to move your cabs not loudness! When I used two cabs I suffered from a lack of power when I turned up the volume thus the jump to the 1001RB, When I did outdoor gigs with my 1001RB 2x10 combo and my 1x15 RBH cab I got through the gigs but I could have used more power. Power use something that is also usable at low volumes as well as high volumes, it allows you to have a fuller sound at lower volumes without turning up the volume knob. That's what the extra "headroom" will do for you!

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ^ i agree. twice.

15. over at www.rmcaudio.com they just quoted me 500 for the 700RB-II and 600 for the 1001RB-II so I suggest if you want one get it from there. My local shops want $600 for the 700RB-II.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats the site i plan on getting mine from as well. Best price ive found.

EDIT: Ok i give up, whats with the triple post?

17. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I took a printed out price quote to Sam Ash from Riks for 600 bucks and they matched it! I offered to pay the tax! $647 for a 1001RBII out the door!:)

18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I agree with all the others about getting the 700RB-II if you can afford it. I have one as my main head, and it sounds simply huge. With an efficient 4x10, I think you'd be fine in medium clubs without PA support unless you have guitarists playing at insane levels through big rigs. In most places I play, I can get by with this head and just my Neo112 cabinet (with PA support). At my last gig (the first with my new band), my bandmates started laughing at how loud it was when I powered up.

19. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Listen to what the Ned said.

:D

Joe.

20. JohnPativens

JohnPativens

Sep 20, 2005
    Italy
    Here, local shops want 690€ for a new 700RB II, 545€ for a 400RB IV. This one is available at the shop while the 700RBII would take at least a month to arrive, by ordering it now...that's the matter..