Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK400RB-III... loud enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, Apr 6, 2002.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Hey I tried a GK400RB-III at GC for the first time and it was awesome. However I'm curious is 240 watts loud enough to compete with say a 100 watt guitar half stack? The music I play would be considerably loud so I'm hoping the GK owners out there can comment on this. Also what they thought about everything else sound, reliabilty, what cabinets they powered with the head.

P.S. Is $420 a good price?

2. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    what cabinet(s) would you be using? i use a 200 watt hartke head, thru 2 15s and 2 10s, and it kills my guitarists 100w 2 412 mesa rig. i have NO headroom though.

3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I have a 400 among my outfits-using it with a Hartke 2.5XL Note: If you only use (1) 8 ohm cab, you've powering 120 watts RMS.
    Loud enough? Depends on the room, the music & the mix. For certain gigs, the head was overkill, I also had situations where the head was maxed out- these were bands with "heavy-handed" drummers, screaming guitarists, etc. I freelance so it depends on the players. If you're working with a set group, it depends on the intensity of the players and your music, as to your ? about your guitarists 100-watt stack-its not just the wattage, but how hard he crank it.
    The price is good, GC /Sam Ash ask about $475 I think. There are some used ones posted alot, but you gotta take care w/ used stuff.
    If you like the GK sound (I do- alot!) you might go up one or two levels if you have the dough-I think the next unit up is bi-ampable, and they are only a couple hundred $ more. Hope this helps!

4. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    i don't have a lot of experience with the 400rb. i've got a 700rb. i've got loads of headroom playing against a marshall halfstack. we usually play pretty loud because the guitarist "can't get his tone" if we don't, and i've never had to push. if you're got a bit of extra cash, i'd recommend the 700rb or 1001rb. i think you'd be just fine with the 400rb, but extra headroom never hurts...

5. JBDammit

JBDammit

Nov 24, 2001
    Athens, Alabama
    I have a GK 400RB 112 combo and a 410 ext. cab. Our guitar player plays with the 100/half and I have plenty of power. Musicians Friend has them priced at $489 so that seems to be a good price for it.

6. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Well the thing I forgot to mention is they have a new 800RB for about $600 it sells in MF for $750 the thing is I never tried the thing. How does it differ from volume, sound and anything else you can think of compared to the 400RB-III? Also how does the 400RB compare to the 700RB and 1001RB in terms of all these? I assume not much difference in sound of course. The bi-amp thing though is a little confusing and the 50-watts or whatever the 700RB pumps out for the highs doesn't sound like that would be enough. Oh yes and I was playing with the GK 410 RBH. Sorry if I'm asking so many questions but purchasing a big rig is of course a big decision and investment... in my opinion at least. Thanks for the replies so far.

P.S. Any recommended cabinets to go along with a GK head?

7. azbass

azbass

Mar 23, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I tried the GK400RB III at GC, playing through a GK 115 (RBH, I think). It, so far, is the amp sound I like the best. (I have not tried higher-end amps.) Its depth wouldn't quit: ALL the way down the E-string, where others seem to poop out. I know it was just one example of a setup, but I sure liked it. BTW, the rating at 8 ohms is 150 watts, not 120.

I'm most seriously considering the 400 head because its entire 'front end' can be used as a preamp for a possible future separate power amp. $419 at GC is the best price I've so far seen.

My plan is to pair it with a single Bag End S15-D, though there seems to be no way for me to first hear one around here.

8. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    No he meant 120 watts into two 8 ohm cabinets when running two cabinets at the max 240 watt @ 4 ohms. Another question comes to mind as would it be louder running two separate 8 ohm cabinets, or just running one 4 ohm cab? I tried the Ampeg B5R and although I like the Overdrive option on it, the GK in my opinion has alot better clean sound.

9. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    if you're talking two 8 ohm 4x10's vs. one 4 ohm 4x10, the two 8 ohms will be louder. because of the increased speaker area, you'll be pushing more air. if you're talking two identical cabs, one 8 ohm and one 4 ohm, you'll get pretty much the same volume, but will have more headroom with the 4 ohm cab.

10. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    on cab recommendations, the best sound i've ever gotten with my 700rb was through an older mesa-boogie road ready 2x15 (ev loaded). the rest of the mesa boogie gear also sounded great. i'm currently running through a peavey 4x10 tvx and have no complaints. i can get a super clean sound with tons of snap with the tweeter on. i can also get the warmest (and awesome sounding) growl when i kill the tweeter (i absolutely hate the sound of distortion through a tweeter). the gk cabs sounded pretty nice too. nothing else is coming to mind right now, but if you have any questions about the gk sound, you can email me.

11. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    GK (what you mentioned)
    Eden WT400/300
    SWR350
    ampeg b2/b5 (not svt3pro)

take your pick...

i've used the GK 400RB thing alot at rehearsal with a 4x10. it's fine, but NO head room in a loud rock sounding. get what fits the gig.

12. jamminji

jamminji

Mar 22, 2002
    If you want more power and like the 400/800rb sound, look around for a 2000rb. Two 500 watt (@2 ohms) amps that will bridge to 1000 watts (@4ohms). I love mine!

jam

13. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    What do you mean by take your pick Captain Wally?

Also... was you cabinet 4 or 8 ohms?

14. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Take your pick = give all the brands a listen before you buy.

If you like GK, then there is certainly nothing wrong with that brand. If I were to purcahse GK, I would definitely get a tilt-back combo with the transport system. Too cool!