Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK400RBIII - Portable cab for ext range fretless

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wilser, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Hello,
    I own a GK 400RBIII head and I would like to match it with a deep sounding portable cab that will have good headroom with my 6 and 5 string fretless basses.

Any suggestions?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    a few tops might be bag end s15xd, epifani 1x12, maybe an aguilar 1x12. there's a lot more. you have to figure just how portable, how loud, how much you can spend, and what they sound like -(which is very subjective)

3. yea, sorry,

I need portable as: bass in gig bag, head in one hand and cab in the other.

$$$: I have about 400-500 nicks to spend on it.

Power: well, my GK delivers about 240W into 4 ohms.

My main concert is that it'll handle that low B and also that it have good headroom. I don't like unintentional distortion.

4. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well with those kind of requirements i would probably look into seeing if you could check out an aguilar 112. All the 1x12 cabs i know of are 8 ohms (maybe avatar makes a 4 ohm 112?). In your case i would give the vote to the aggie over the bag end as the aggie is aeasier to carry and is 400 as opposed to about 600. the epi is light as well but will also run you over six bills. what you really need to find out is if that's loud enough for what you need to do (and if you like the tone). FWIW, i did a bunch of smaller gigs with an eden wt-400 in one hand, an aggie 112 in the other and my gig bag on my back. very doable.

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Most of the time my rig (for bass guitar and upright) is an '87 400RB through a Euphonic Audio Wizzy 1x12 cab. The Wizzy is an efficient 4 ohm cabinet that handles 250 watts and weighs 29 pounds--very manageable. It can get very loud and cuts through well without being harsh. It has a whizzer cone (like some car speakers use) for the high end. It handles a low B as well as any cabinet of its size. For the kind of stuff I play (jazz, Latin, pop, and folk) it's great. You should be able to find one for about $450 shipped.

6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    are the wizzy's really that light?? never mind, i didn't hear that. all's i need is to want to try some other cabinets out. :rolleyes:

7. The GK Neo 112 has unbelievable lowend and is very easy to carry.

8. Thanks Daniel,
    What's the weight and SPL of this cab?

9. Weight is 39 lbs. SPL is 102 dB

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Shroeder.

I'm saving for one. :p