Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK400RBIV VS/ CARVIN B500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TBASS, Oct 12, 2004.

1. TBASS

TBASS

Sep 17, 2004
    Tulsa, Ok.
    I am looking for an American head in this power and price range. I would like to hear any opinions on these two heads or any other American made heads in this power and price range.

2. I can't say much on the Carvin B500 and I doubt you will find much on it because it is new since this spring, but it does seem to have some really good features, including (allegedly) the ability to be run at two ohms which would be a nice feature to have. Carvin is something you seem to like or hate, and you either have to go to California to one of their stores to hear it before buying or buy on hopes and be willing to return it. Some people have had serious issues with dealing with customer service with Carvin and their stories are scary! In all fairness though I personally have been pleased with my service from Carvin, and I guess you geneally don't hear from the ones who were satisfied.
    As to the GK 400RBIV, I have recently purchased one after trying out the Peavy Firebass 700, Ampeg B2R, Behringer 1200 (I think) and a couple of Hartke amps. It was one of those things where I plugged it in and went "whoa" this moves me! I really liked the sound that the GK gave me, and I really wanted as light a head as I could find. At 15 lbs it was half the weight or less of the other heads (the Carvin your looking at is 25lbs). I received a number of warnings too about recent problems with some of the GK amps (not the 400 series) as well as huge dissatisfaction with dealing with their customer service department-- to the point that at least one store I am aware of quit carrying the GK line. Again though, my understanding is most problems are being dealt with.

Why don't equipment manufacturers realize that customer service is at least as important as product quality???

(Off soapbox)

Peavy is a US manufacturer and lots of people have had excellent results with their products. Hope this helps.

3. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I recently bought a 1001rb and my customer service experience with GK was first rate. So far I am really pleased with the amp as well. Hopefully this won't change over time. My impression after listening and asking questions was that GK experienced a "rough spot" at one point in time but was back on track.