Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK700RB-II Fan Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sdguyman, Nov 16, 2005.

1. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I have always owned a GK head. I loved my 800RB but now I have run into a Rack space issue. Currently I have my 700RB in a SKB 6 space case. Above the head I have a blank slot fixed there so that the fan that is located on top of the head is not block off. (Why would GK put a fan on top of this head which is considered Rackmountable I don't understand)

Here is the delema, I want to add an effects processor and the blank above the head is all I have left. I dont want to buy a bigger case because I love the size of my 6 but am I going to burn out my head if most of the fan area above the head is covered? 1 option is I could put the head at the top so that it has the 1/2 of space between the wall of the case and the top of the head but man why would you put a fan vent on top of a rackmountable head???????????????????????/

:eyebrow:

2. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I think you need 1/2" clearance if you check your manual. That is usually achievable on the top space of a molded rack.

If not, I would move the amp to the top and make swiss cheese of the rack just above the fan.

danman

3. yeah... it is better to be safe than sorry. i know stacking a rack with the amp in the top slot is a little unconventional, but it's better than having to have the amp repaired after it fries.

4. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I don't know what else you have in your rack, but my rack tuner is shallow enough that I can put it immediately above my 1001RB-II, and have at least 95% of the fan unblocked. Perhaps you have something in there that is shallow enough to restack with it above the amp? If not, on the top would be my pick as well. Since the amp exhausts out the front, heat buildup in the rack from being on top should not be a problem.

- Tim

5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    +1

6. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I tried that, I have a the new Fender rackmount tuner in there and its huge. The smallest item I have in the case is a Nady wireless system but that too will block off more than 70% of the vent area.
    :meh:

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Your best bet is to put it in the top slot of your rack. I ultimately did that with my 700 RB-II and, though my power conditioner lights are now longer useful, it worked out for the best.

8. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Mine is the Korg 1000, IIRC, and it is only about 3 inches deep . . . . works just great on top of the 1001, with the amp in the bottom of my rack.

- Tim

9. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    My 700RB lives in a 2 space X-rack and it's been fine. Between the front vent and the space above, it's just barely warm at the end of a gig.