1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK700RBII vs MB500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geoff_in_nc, Oct 26, 2013.

1. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc

Dec 13, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I'll make this really simple: I own a 700RBII and its great. I got it really cheaply but its in great condition. I've been alerted to an opportunity to trade - possibly straight up - for an MB500. Weight and size isn't an issue to me at all. Does the MB500 give me any advantages? I have a feeling the answer is "no" but wanted to ask anyway.

For reference I play in a band doing country/rock/R&B/etc, and I'm a "set it and forget it" amp user. I don't use effects either.

2. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    If weight and size are not an issue the only advantage for the MB is I believe you can use two different gain settings. Two channels, same EQ, different gain settings.

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    The differences between a Class G power amp (700RB-II) and a Class D power amp (MB 500) are reputed to be subtle, but real. Consequently the 700RB-II may have the feeling of a bit more authority in the lows than is the case with the MB 500. You might notice it. You might not. :meh:

Overall, the two models are much more similar than they are different. If you're happy with your 700RB-II, then I wouldn't trade. Why fix what isn't broken? Instead, I'd suggest saving up for an MB 500 to use as a backup amp. You don't need to buy new. You can get a used one in great condition for probably $350 - or less.

MM

4. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    +1 to the all the above.

5. +1 to the +1.

6. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc

Dec 13, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I was kind of wondering if the differences would be subtle. Good stuff to know. And thanks for the replies guys.

7. gpx1200

gpx1200

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    Ive had an rb700 for a while and just recently got a mb800 and with the same cabs(gk neo 410+115) and close eq setings the difference is subtle but definite and mostly in the low end for me the mb is a little deeper and a little boomy and the rb has a tighter more punchy low end.
    I do very much like the sound of the b chanell with the gain cranked up, very grity hairy distortion but still with good definition definetly not the same as what you get from the rb when using a lot of gain.
    in the end no matter what you do they still bolth retain the baked in gk sound but I haven't realy chosen one or the other so far I still want to keep and use them bolth.

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Really...the mb800 has a much warmer than the 700rb-II. I use to own a gk 700rb-II and I've noticed how bright and punchy it sounded with my schecter basses. personally, I wanted a warmer sound which is why I switched to a hartke lh500. I still like gk, it just that I desire a warmer sound. maybe I should of tested out the eqs more. and now I'm thinking if I wanted to buy a gk head once again, I would go with the mb800 or perhaps the mb800 fusion since I've taken a real shine to hybrid bass heads.

9. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I owned both for a while, I still have the 700. The MB didn't pack the same punch in a heavy rock setting, not even close.