GK800 Problem...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Ok i was just at a show last night and after we played my friend wanted to try out my amp... no problem, i plug in his fender p bass into my GK800 turned her on and... nothing... all i could hear was a very faint distorted sound when he played... i tried different speaker cables different instrument cables and still nothing just either a very quiet distorted sound or sometimes a loud hum and hiss with no sound when you played. I took her home and tried some different cables and tried my other basses (passive and active) and still had the same problems. then while just playing when it was distorted i heard two LOUD pops and everything was back. Now everything works fine and I have no idea what the hell happened!!!
    I am using a GK800 am only the low speaker jacks into a Bag End 4x10 with the co-axial tweeter.
    I am really afraid of this happening at a gig in the future so what should i do... i cant really afford a back up amp and I LOOOOOVVVEEE the sound of this rig when it IS working...
  2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Could be the input jack. Try wiggling the plug around while the amp is on and see if the sound cuts in and out.
  3. tried that... no difference when wiggling the plug around. if i bring ti to my local tech its going to cost mucho $$$ and it will be gone for 7-9 days which is going to be a BIG problem. He doesn't even know what it is and its going to end up costing me 50 bucks just to get an estimate... bastards... anyone else know what could be wrong?
  4. Hm... i have a simular problem wiht my Eden head, the problem kinda fixed itself after a month or so (it takes awhile to get $300, the estamated amount to fix my amp) so i didnt take it to the tech, but i'd be interested what the problem of yours was once you find out...

I also had a simular problem with my old Peavey Combo amp. Here's how i always fixed it, I'd turn it on, and very low volume would come out, almost inaudable, and it would be distorted. I'd turn up the volume, slight increase, but nothing much. I asked my guitar teacher, and he told me that it might be dust in the volume pot, and i should turn it back and forth a bunch, and see if it fixes it. I did, and it did. I'd only have the problem once in awhile, and it would only happen when i turned on the amp, or else it would never happen. it had a 10:1 ratio of happening. Give it a try, and if you can, pull off the knob cap, and spray in component cleaner at the pot, and then move it around. The component cleaner will disolve all the dust, and grime that builds up in there. I used the stuff on my scratchy switch of my gretsch, problem solved.

If that doesnt fix it, let me know whe you find the solution. My eden head, when it'd have it's problem, it would cut out at random times.
  5. i think you may have got it... i know remember that i had a similiar distortion problem like this a while ago and i used to fix it myself by turning it on low volume and playing open notes while increasing it. i never knew why it worked but i think this might be the same thing that you were talking about... if it ever is a problem again ill try that... thanks

please respond if anyone else had a similiar experience or knows of what else this could be
  6. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    My guitar preamp will do the same thing sometimes. What it ended up being is the effects loop jacks. If it has an effects loop, it might be that. My preamp was made so when there wasn't a cord plugged into the jack it shorts itself out to carry the signal passed the effects loop. How i figured it out was i would just put a small cord from the send straight into the return line and it would fix the problem. I still haven't replaced the jack and just leave the cord there. It's a possibility. Hope you figure it out.
  7. ImNotGeddyLee,
    It sounds like the exact same problem I just experienced with my 800rb.
    I took it into the shop for repair today and will keep you informed via this thread.
    More to follow.
  8. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    I've had 3 GK heads that have done the same thing! Take a short instrument cable and patch the effects send to the effects return. GK's are notorious for having bad loop jacks. Let me know!
  9. I've never had any problem with my 800, but I cant understand the reluctance here to have a tech fix it. If my car breaks down, I get a mechanic to fix it, if my plumbing craps out, I call a plumber, if my TV craps out, I throw it away!
  10. phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    I've had similar problems with my Ampeg B2-r. Check out another thread called "Looking for tech help with a B2R." It may have some information for you, although Ampegs aren't the same, but the same general idea...
  11. pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    i had a similar problem with mine..i took it to a service center after 300.00 it worked fine..but now cuts out ..i brought it back and they say everything fine ..plug it in my rig it cuts out..now i find when i dont have it on top of my cab it works fine..this pobably helped in no way but try to avoid the 300.00 charge..if anyone can help me id appreciate it..i tried the effects loop deal didnt help me and also sprayed cleaner on everything no help