gk800 vs mesa walkabout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B String, Jun 22, 2003.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Bought a gk 800rb after years of using
    them as backline on large stages. For
    local gigs its been enough power for most
    anything I do. Thinking about a mesa walkabout.
    Its rated the same power as the 800rb.
    BUT!!! Every thread I read talks about the
    walkabout for rehersals or small gigs. When
    I called the factory, they were very carefull
    with a response about power. What up? Does the
    walkabout have as much uummph as the 800rb?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Can't say I've ever trusted Mesa for bass amps, definately for guitar, but not bass. For my four string things, I'll take a GK or Ampeg over Mesa anyday.
  3. I've got a Mesa 400+, and it performs beautifully. I love the tone, and the power behind every note. Much fatter than any GK i've ever heard. As for more oomph, i don't know... it seems to me that it would probably put out... perhaps a tiny bit less than the GK???? I dunno... all the GK's i've heard have been real loud, but the tone wasn't someting i was particularly impressed with. However, my mesa puts out just as much (if not more, heh) than my friends Ampeg SVT-4, but then again, that's Tube watts on my part.

I'd go try one out to see if it would really be a big difference sound-wise, as well as with the power.

4. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I do appreciate your opinions, but I think
    you guys are comparing apples and amps.(huh?)
    These two amps are rated at the same output.
    I understand that they won't sound the same,
    but thats what I'm after. I'm just left wondering
    why the walkabout would not have more headroom,
    instead of less. Seems like the tube sections
    would help. The 400+ is a wonderfull piece of
    gear, but I'm looking for less weight and of
    course less power.
  5. bollefen

Mar 13, 2003
    i have a walkabout and it will make my ears bleed but i do play small, pm tombowlus or keep this high on the list he loves his too.

6. I have both a GK 700rb and a WalkAbout. I bought the GK about 4 months ago and the Walkabout about 1 month ago. The WalkAbout blows the GK away in both tone and power. I play for a national Christian artist and we are blessed to play some large venues. I have not had a problem filling up any venue with the WalkAbout so far. As a matter of fact, I purchased the Walkabout after playing one up in Minneapolis at a 5,000 seat church. However, keep in mind that I run direct into the house system. I am totally sold on the sound quality and output of my Mesa Walkabout and wouldn't play anything else. I have changed my rider to now only request certain cabinets as I purchased the gig bag for the Walkabout and will take it wherever I play. Hope this helps!
  7. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thats more like it! Seems like
    the walkabout should work well for
    me. Now I just have to find one to
    check out . Was thinking about the new
    gk 700rbll, but I've got a bad feeling
    about the new gk amps. Hope I'm wrong.
    Any other opinions would be appreciated.
    Any negatives with the walkabout???
    Good for 5 strings?
  8. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    The Mesa Walkabout is a great amp. I got one about a month ago, and I couldn't be happier. It has a LOT of headroom and a nice tube quality to the sound -it has two tubes, and I think they are interacting, not just a single token tube like some other amps.

The only negative for me is the somewhat noisy fan. It hums a steady Eb (sort of) that can get in the way between songs.

9. I have an M/B bass 400+ and was thinking about replacing it wit a GK 700Rb (mainly a weight issue), so I borrowed one and brought to rehearsals. Did some serious A/B-ing and I actually liked both, they were not THAT different at the levels I used them (LOUD). But the 700RB sounded somewhat stressed when pushed hard.. so I stayed with my bass 400+. On the other hand the GK 1001RB would probably solve the "stress problem". Still with my 400+ without any problems.
  10. Anybody ever try the Mesa Walkabout with the Bergantino HT112 and or with the EX112 ? I love these little cabs but Bergs like the POWER you know. I guess I can go try one but until I do if anyone has tried I would appreciate you comments.
    I'm not a GK fan....sorry.
  11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My ears were burning, so I had to go find this thread and chime in. ;)

When I say that the Walkabout is capable of handling practice situations and small to medium-small venues, I mean that it could do these things without sound support. In just about any scenario, it could handle stage volume. In my experience, though, once you start trying to play to more than 150-200 people, you are going to need to move a lot of air (and have some serious headroom) to get good sounding bass out to the masses without the bass in the PA. In general, I would not recommend playing without the bass in the PA for gigs of this size, but then, I do also have another monster 3,000w rig that can cover a lot of bodies when need be... :bassist: :D

Back to the Walkabout, though. I really do love mine, and I believe that it is conservatively rated at 300w into 4 ohm. Unless you are in a very large room or outside, it really can get painfully loud. I will say, however, that I would not recommend running it hard into a 8 ohm load. The only time that I ever had to really crank it up was when I was trying to practice with just my Epifani T-112. It did, indeed, get plenty loud, but it really started to heat up. So, I plugged in an old homemade 1x15 to drop my load to 4 ohm, turned down, and all was well. Heck, I have even ran a 2.67 ohm load for kicks out of it (carefully, mind you, with checking the temp often), and it handled it without a problem.

As far as whether or not it can push Bergies, I must admit that when I ran one VL-210 and one VL-208 through it, they really sounded quite nice, and those older EA cabs are notorious for liking gobs of power.

The tone on this baby really is impressive. I had read good things about it, but until I tried it out myself, I didn't know just how good it was. It almost makes me want to replace my big rack with an M-Pulse 600... Almost...

FWIW, I do think that the Walkabout pairs up especially well with Epifani cabs, so I would think that it would work well with Bergies, too.

Get the Walkabout!!!!

Later, Tom.
  12. Thanks Tom, I was running low on G.A.S. My milage is getting worse you know. I'm going to a take a "Walkabout" to the local dealer soon as I sell some of my inventory....
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Glad to be of assistance...

14. I'd love to know why you have a bad feeling about the new GK amps.

I just delivered the new 400RB-IV to Alan Gorrie of AWB and was blown away at how much volume the thing puts out. The power rating on it is very conservative. It says 280 watts at 4 ohms, but it was apparently much louder than that.

If you want power in a small box, try the 1001RB 700 watts @ 4 ohms and only 18 pounds. The 400RB only weighs 15 pounds. 700RB does 480 watts at 4 ohms and 16.5 pounds.
  15. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Daniel. Sorry if I seem harsh. I guess
    its like not wanting to buy a new model
    car till they work the bugs out. The specs
    on the new amps look very impressive, but
    I would imagine that more and more of the
    product is being made overseas. Sometimes
    that can lead to more problems. Again,
    I hope I'm wrong. I've used GK's for many
    many years.
  16. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I spoke to a LARGE dealer today and they said they will not order the new GK's because they had so many problems with the previous model. I was very interested in the 1001RB til I heard that!:meh:
  17. Only the backline stuff is made off-shore. The 400, 700, 800, 1001 and 2001 are all made in our factory in Stockton, CA.

The new amps are the same as the old but with all the 'bugs' worked out. and more power and a better look.
  18. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hey, small world! Just got an email from you today! :D

Anyway, your amps are by far my favorite...when you going to do something with your website/put out those GK workshirts?
  19. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Daniel. I just figured that GK would
    be using mainly offshore parts to
    keep costs down and offer higher wattage
    and better specs. I make my living with
    my gear. If its not working..I'm not working.
    My 800rb is one of the most reliable amps
    I've ever owned.
  20. I'm going to be working on the website all this week. The Dickie shirts are available now. I'll talk to the bean counters about a discount for TB'ers tomorrow.