GK800RB and what cabs???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Sep 21, 2004.

1. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    What cabs should i match up with a GK800RB?

its biamped at 100 at 8 for highs and 200 for lows at 8 and 300 for lows at 4.

should i get an avatar 2x12 and run it full range? i also have a avatar 2x10 right now in 4 ohms, is there anything i can do with that?

any ideas or suggestions would be awesome.

thanks a lot, eric.
  2. 69Vette

Sep 21, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    I've had three 800RBs since 1983. I've run everything from one and two refrigerator types to smaller Ampeg, SWR Goliath and Avatar cabs. I tried bi-amping with the crossover many times, but I always went back to running both cabinets full range. I've found that every quality cabinet I've used has sounded good. (Taking into consideration whatever coloring the cabinet itself adds to the sound.)

BTW, when I was running big cabinets, the 100 watt side, pushing a Risson 8/10, was LOUD. The 300 watt side fed a Risson 4/12 folded horn cabinet (both cabinets SVT sized) which literally shook the walls of every place I played. Best damn sound I knew of at the time. I wish I'd understood eq well enough to use an SVT head properly, but at the time I thought it sounded too dirty. I liked the clean sound of the GK better. I've got a '79 SVT on the way now though, so I'm gonna see what a few years of experience has done to my ideas about tone...
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    You could make the 4 ohm Avatar B210 cabinet into an 8 ohm cabinet by ordering a pair of 16 ohm Delta 10s from Dave. If the 10s in your Avatar are in excellent condition, you could probably sell them on eBay for what you paid for new 16 ohm speakers from Avatar. Dave's Eminence prices are excellent.

A B212 would be a good choice...in either 4 or 8 ohm impedance. Since the 800RB is not fan cooled, I'd go with an 8 ohm B212...there isn't enough extra power available at 4 ohms to notice a volume difference and the amp would just run hotter (at 4 ohms vs. 8 ohms).
  4. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    so do you think i should run whatever cab/s i get at full range?

should i get the 2x12 avatar? i want to keep my rig loud but also not that big or heavy.

are there any other brands of cabs i should look at? how do two aguilar 1x12's sound? that seems like i would power the speakers better, and...therefore? sound better??. or at least "fuller"? i am at least part right??

using a 210 watt peavey mark IV head threw the 2x10 avatar cab i ran it at full out. Pre and post up all the way. i know its not good for it but i needed to be THAT loud. i know that because i was clipping the speakers werent really putting out 210 watts. but if i manage the volume with cabs and the head, i could get a nice loud ballsy bass tone.

i havent bought the GK800rb its just the one im looking at now.... tell me if you got more ideas for heads!