Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK800RB Old to New/Silver vs Black backs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bud Bolf, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Apr 17, 2005
    Hi all,
    As far as the GK800's, how do you tell if it is the Old version or the New version?
    Some GK800's have a Black rear Input panel and some have
    a Silver rear Input jack panel.
    What's up with Rack ears, are there two styles, old and new.
    Where can they be found.
    Thanks,
    Bud

2. My 1987 800RB has a black rear panel. I kinda doubt they have changed design for rack ears but not sure. Any GK dealer can order them or contact customer support at Gallien.com. They have always been prompt and helpful to me.

3. You can tell by the the rocker (power) switch on the face of the head. If it's positioned horizontally (black/grey switch), It's the older style. The newer style has a vertical (black/red) rocker switch. There is a difference in rack ears between the two styles as well. According to a thread in the GK forums, the newer style rack ears are still available from GK. The older ones are no longer made and are difficult to find, unfortunately.

4. Xtra, You're right. Just looked at the GK forum. That kinda blows me away. I'll let you know if I ever decide to sell my ears. How's your amp working for you?...EW

5. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    One of those posting on the GK forum was me...looking for the rack ears for an older model 800RB.
    No luck thus far.

6. I'm loving it more with each passing day. I'm really believing the statement made by some bassists that there's tube tone, solid state tone and then GK tone. It sure isn't for everyone, but it's definitely for me. I can see myself with it for a very long time. If you were to ever offer to sell the rack ears, that would be like Christmas & Cinco de Mayo wrapped into one for me because when I get it fully restored (I'll have a picture thread up once that's accomplished), I'm dead set on keeping it in a rack, even If I have to make the ears.