1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK800RB or GK1001RBII?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emjazz, Apr 18, 2006.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I like the portability of the 1001RB, but is there any advantage to the 800RB over the 1001RB? Is there a sound difference at all? Anyone who has had experience with both want to chime in?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    They say that the 1001RB is voiced like a more powerful version of the 800 rb. The string switch changes it a bit, too. I haven't A/B'ed the two, but I am and always will be a GK fan. You can't really go wrong with either.

3. i have owned both.
    im not really nit pickey.
    the 1001rbII just seemed like a 800rb with more headroom and smaller.

if i ever get a GK head again it will proably be the 1001rbII.

-todd

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I agree. I think the 1001 has more flexible tone controls though. I've used both live and like both. They sound good with any good cabinets. The 1001 has a lot more headroom than the 800. Very nice amp. If I was in the market for another head right now, I'd get one.

In fact, I bought the Walkabout Scout that I now have used for over 2 years only because I couldn't get a 1001 and needed one for a gig the next day. I don't regret getting the Mesa, but I'd be perfectly happy with the GK. I've played them for years and always liked them.