1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK800RB v GK700RB Is there much difference in tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4Strings71, Mar 27, 2013.

1. 4Strings71

4Strings71

Apr 29, 2012
    Hey Bass maniacs out there :hyper:

Just wondering if you guys know if there is much tonal differences at all between the GK800RB and GK700RB?

Obviously the 700RB is a little louder and i understand the 800RB is now discontinued....but the 800RB looks pretty cool, vintage type looking.

Love to hear any responses guys :)

2. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Hi, to my ears, the 800RB has less 'deep' bottom end. The 700RB has a 'wider' sound. The 700RB does have more useful gig features, like the fully featured DI, mute, etc.
    I like both but I love the 800RB, I think it works very well if you have something else in your signal chain to add some girth, I personally use the Sadowsky outboard preamp with my passive basses. 800RB remains one of my all time favourite amps. Give them both a try. Cheers

3. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

Howdy, I've never used the 700RB, but I had a 1001RB, so I really can't chime in on that one. My 800RB has been my "main amp" since I got it new in 1993. I can't say enough about it. I've gotten so used to the way it sounds that I'm never happy with any other amp. It just works for me. The 1001RB kicks some major a$$, but I like the 800RB better. The 1001 sounded a little more "hi fi" and modern to my ears.