Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK800rb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ripper75, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Ripper75

Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    So what is the low down on these amps? Are they reliable? I am thinking of buying one made in 1985.

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    As reliable as you can get a 20 year old amp. At the time (mid 80's) the GK 800RB was considered the standard or certainly one of the standards for a Pro Rig.

3. I beleiev Duff still uses his in the practice room- these were like some of his first amps with the Gunners... Dunno what Flea uses now days, but he did use a 800RB, and both claimed there were as tough as nails.

Personally I use a 03 / 1987 made, 800RB. I just recently brought it of talk bass member ToddTodd adn I have to say upon opening the box after it arrived from the USA the first thing I thought to my self was, WOW they dont make 'em like they used to. The amps are very solid, and for me this amp has been trouble free- Todd had some troubles with it recently which were sent back to GK and fixxed, being serviced once in 18years though is a pretty damn fine record if you ask me.

Check out the condition of them amp- If it looks good then go for it, I'm hoping mine lasts another 18years nothing in there to suggest it wont :)

4. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I have a first year production RB 800 that I just started using again.I got it for 50.00 10 years ago because it needed repairs. It went to GK 3 times to be repaired,and they never got it right. The last time it was there,they lost it! Luckily,I got it back and sent it to a local GK repair center,and it's worked perfect ever since. but according to GK,mine was built in the first few months production.I think somewhere around early 83? I'm still experementing with different cabs and bass combinations,buy I'm really starting to like it again. GK amps are typically very reliable,and good old school tone. If the one your looking at is an older model,get it checked out by a repair man if possible. Other than that, go for it. they are great amps.

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah - he should check (or just go-ahead and replace!) all the electrolytic caps.

Y'might wanna have him check the heatsink compound on the output transistors too - that stuff can get all dried-out too.

I don't know anything about GK servicing; I'm just talking generally.

Joe

6. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    had mine well over 15 year with out a problem....great amp

7. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    GK? "Good old school tone"?? I MUST be getting old. :crying:
    But seriously, I have a 400RB that I bought new in 1985, and it's always been great. No problems. (I know the original question was about the 800RB.) My main amp is an Ampeg SVT Pro III, but I bring my GK as a backup and as an alternative when a room's acoustics necessitate something bright, clean and punchy, NOT "old school" warm and tubular.

8. just clear this up, the only reason it needed fixed was a bad monster cable sprk cable.
    monster paid to fix my amp cause their damn cable broke it..
    so if monster didnt sell me a bad cable the amp would have a perfect record for 18 yrs.
    i miss her

-todd

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    AFAIK, both are now using rigs powered by 2001RB's. Flea is using 410RBH and 115RBH cabs, Duff, I believe is using NEO 412's.

GK makes great amps, very reliable. Owned an 800RB from 1985 I think (Lokire has it now) and I've been using the same 400RB-III since 3/02 without a slight problem. All my cabs have been great, problem free, etc.

11. Went and saw the Chris Duarte Group a few nights ago and their bass player was using an 800rb with an Eden 410, Harke 210, and Modulus Quantum 6, sounded spectacular.

12. Awesome on Monster Cables behalf to pay up and get the amp fixxed, I can understand why you miss her though Todd- She gets some loven every nite; even got the missus in on the act... Never thought she'd wanna turn :D

Still working flawless, I'm actually looknig for a differnet cabinet for it, again- the ampeg just doesn't do it justice. A homemade 2x12 is my next option :)

13. Does he use the 2001RB in the practice room too? The most recent pic I saw was Not long after VR's album come out, Sure enough 2x 800RB's powering 2 GK 410's look like RBX cabs.

Still both guys that have used GK gear pretty much their whole stint on right of stage... Not bad!

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm pretty sure the whole move to the 2001RBs was recent. I think he was using 800RB's in the first VR gigs and now that they're this big he upgraded. I think he still practices with 800's.

15. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    A couple of years ago my (then amp) 3Pro needed some work so I picked up an older 800RB as an interim/spare. I'm not sure how old it is, but the guy I got it from never had a problem with it and neither have I. It's the "guaranteed go-to" amp. It is what it is as far as an amp goes - limited EQ (compared to some other amps) and not extremely loud, but solid as hell - a workhorse. Well worth having.