GK's new Goldline Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WarofAges, Dec 29, 2007.

1. WarofAges

WarofAges Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    What all your guy's opinons on Gallien Kruegers new Goldline cabs? They come in 410 210 and 115. I was thinking about starting off with a 410 then adding the 115 later. for 300 buck they seem like a sweet deal.

2. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Personally, I think they are frighteningly ugly; but I've never heard them, I assume they sound similar to GK backline stuff.

3. WarofAges

WarofAges Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    Haha, I actually thought they looked realy cool. I forgot about the 810 too. They just dropped the price to 499.99 for an 810. I am just wondering why they keep dropping in price

4. Connor

Connor

Jun 21, 2007
    Jawjuh
    i wouldn't get one (because i don't like aluminum cones) but also because i'm really not into GK for the reason that they are very trebly and dirty sounding. if you like that sound, then go for it. just don't buy before trying it (always a bad decision).

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    They sound good in the store. I'm not fond of the C3PO look though.

6. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Ha! I almost spit out my beer when I read that.

I wonder if they sound a bit like Hartke's stuff.

7. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I don't really know how the Hartke stuff sounds since there are several different models. I have heard the stuff on videos and it sounds good. I have heard Will Lee play though it and it sounds really good.

I probably liked the sound of the GK goldline in the store b/c it doesn't have a tweeter and it was powered by a GK head (the cabs seem to sound better with a matching head).

8. I was thinking of getting the GK Backline 210. I have an Ampeg BA-115 now and I like the way it sounds but you can't add external cabs to it the way I understand. I'd like to have a 2x10 and a 1x15. The GK allows an external cab to be added. I haven't used any GK's before and was wondering of their performance and quality. I know having a separate head allows you more options as far as adding different cabs but a combo is more convenient for me. If I would get the GK I wouldn't be able to get a 1x15 right away. Given the options, should I stick with the Ampeg BA-115 or go with the GK Backline 210? I don't play any big gigs. I mainly play at home, jam sessions and an occasional small venue. Most of the music is country, country rock, and classic rock. Thanks for any input.

9. WarofAges

WarofAges Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    well, if you need the extra power right now, I would say buy the 210 and add te 15. you were thinking of getting the 210 combo,m then adding the 15, right? I think that would sound sweet!

10. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area
    i own the 410 they aren't kidding when they say its bright it is. but it lacks some low end in my opinion i mean bad. i want to put a 15 or 2x12 or something onto it. i like the cab now that i have it but i dont know if i would recommend it either. for 400 i would say shop used, you can get a killer 410 ampeg classic for 50 bucks more if you shop around. thats IMO

11. tbwilson

tbwilson

Dec 11, 2006
    concord NH area

Attached Files:

• bass.gif
      bass.gif
      File size:
      14.3 KB
      Views:
  12. I've played the 410 on it's own, the 810 on its own, and the 115 on it's own. They definitley sound really good! I've played Ampeg, and sure it sounds nice but I was scared to push the Ampeg bcuz it's worth more than my car ;). However, the cabs sound really nice. I like that they don't have a tweeter, because IMO tweeters hinder the fat sound. I recommend them, but I'd probably spray-paint the cones black because the gold is kind of tacky!

13. Have you use GK's before? I know the Ampeg BA-115 I have is mainly a beginner/practice/small gig amp. I just wondered about the difference in sound and performance between the Ampeg and GK. As stated earlier, I probably won't add the 1x15 right away so I'd just be using the 210 for a while. Will the 210 still carry the lows decent?
    [​IMG]

adding this later, a couple months or so...
    [​IMG]

This is what I'd like to end up with. I just wanted some input from some GK guys to see what they think.

14. I tried them out when I worked at GC. Pretty bright, IMO, as others have said. They seem to benefit from a lot of power - I tried the 8x10 with a 300 watt head, and was extremely underwhelmed. I hooked up an 800 watt head and it sounded a LOT better. I don't know what their efficiency rating is.

15. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma

16. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    I have the 410 and run it with a GK 400rb, it sounds pretty damn good to me. It isnt as heavy as some on the low end but you can get it out of it with a little tweeking of your EQ for sure. It growls really nicely too. I will agree though it can be bright, but can also be dialed out but I like a litte brightness for my picking.

17. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    You can get the Hartke 2.5XL for $250 new.

18. hyp.spec

hyp.spec

May 14, 2006
    Fraser, MI
    I actually used to have this setup.

The Backline 210 is a great little beast - especially for the money.

The Backline 115 however, save your money and get a better cab. It's rear ported so it doesn't handle the lows very well. Honestly I think the 210 pushed more low end...

But now I have an GK 1001rb-II an Ampeg 410 and a 115 and i'm in heaven :)

19. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Re: the sentence I made bold. port location makes no difference.

20. Yeah, a bit, but I find the Hartke XL line to sound a bit beefier / fuller. The good Hartke stuff is more expensive, though - these are a great value.

+1. Aluminum cone cabs are great to get punch and bite, but they do lack a bit in warmth and low end. I don't think they sound bad alone, necessarily, but they are pretty great matched with a paper sub, like a 15 or an 18.

+1.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021