Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GL or..............

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMan2000, Jul 8, 2001.

1. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Guys I'm in a little pickle right now, I need some advice on makeing a desicision, well here it goes... I'm currently looking into the high end area of basses. I've limited to two choices currently, which are a 4-string Fretted GL L-2000 or a Spector 4-string Chzec Republic bass. I've played both and I'm leaning towards GL but my friend in my band says that I'm throwing my money, he said go with the spector, he said that the GL well be just another crapy bass, that I'll sell for a spector. Well I've played models at my local shop but I'm showing you whichs exactly that I'm looking at for GL tell me which one you perfer more.... just want some suggestions.

p.s Yes I did read the GL post aswell.

http://www.bassnw.com/G&L Special Sale Basses/gl_l2000_CLF21927_blueburst_rw_4_st.htm

http://www.bassnw.com/New Exotic Basses/gl_l2000_19888_csb_maple_4_st.htm

Or a Spector Czech bass.......

My current bands I play
    HEAVY Metal,Rock,Blues,Funk,Jazz,Latin,Bossa
    Just to let you know.......

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Will you play the bass or your friend? ;)

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Bassman2000, I won't say your friend wouldn't know his butt from a hole in the ground but...

I've heard people say a lot of things about G&L L2000's, first time I've heard "crappy".

The Czech Spectors are nice, IMO the G&L has more balls.

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    The Spector has a great sound, but really just one sound IMO. I have a Czech Spector and the L-2000.

I don't play the Spector half as much, but that's because I like the different sounds I get out of the L-2000. I think the GL plays better too.

One thing that is definitely better on the Spector is the tuners, they will stay in tune all year round, after a beating, etc.

Like someone said above, it comes down to personal preference, so don't listen to what your friend says. No offense, but if your friend is referring to GL's as crappy, he's totally off his rocker. I don't think anyone who's actually played both instruments could refer to them as crappy.

I love the flamed maple GL you posted in the link, that finish is HOT! As far as the styles you play, I think the Czech does best with metal and rock, but also slaps well too. I think the GL is awesome for anything, the circuit is capable of many useful sounds.

5. personnaly i'd say a tough question, i've thought about a decision between these basses as with others. from everything ive heard and experienced the g&l is a great bass(haven't played the l-2000, played asat semihollow, and their new jb-2) i have enjoyed spectors too though, they have great tone and feel. the g&l provides that versitility issue, and the ability to go passive or active, etc. take into consideration what you want the most and what feels good(i am probably ending up going with a warwick myself) and also if you gotta consider your pocket book the G&L is less expensive and will save you some money toward other things.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have both. I have my L-2000 for close to 8 years now & even though the pre-amp isn't working correctly IT'S AWESOME!!!! I've had another L-2000 & a L-2500 & this old beat up one I have out played them both.

IMO the Czech Spector is a MUCH better bass. I just love Spector's :p. Yes the G&L is a SUPER versatile bass, but in the 8 years that I've had it, I used it in the same position 'cause that's what worked for me. (active, no trebble boost, both p/u's on & parallell)

Play both basses till you're blue in the face & your finial decision will be a good one. They're both EXCELLENT basses!!!!!

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    How was the JB2 you tried out? How did it sound?

I would love to check one of these out.

8. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I'd probably go with the G&L. IMO it has a more 'ballsy' and deep sound than the Spector. Also, you'd be able to get more versatility out of the G&L, and with that finish it sure looks kick-a**:D! This is what I'd do, but to really make a decision you should surely play both and compare their good points and bad points. :)

-FSR

9. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Tell ya what, get the G&L and if it sucks, give it to me. I would do that for you man. Herumpf herumpf herumpf!

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    He would, too. Scott's a pal.

Do it:D

11. I'd buy an ASAT myself...same bass, but with a telecaster body...uber cool:D

Anyway, both are excellent basses, no matter what your friend says. The Spector isn't a one-trick pony by any means, but it is nowhere near as versatile as the G&L. It does have a brighter sound, but for rock and metal that sound cuts perfectly through the mix. You can always put fatter strings/pup replacement if you want to colour this tone.

The G&L ASAT or L2000 are perhaps the most versatile basses on the planet. Gritty to warm, fat to crisp, they can do it all. However, they don't emulate the tones of other basses fully; they merely approximate it. The G&L won't have a Stingray tone. Or a P-bass tone. Or even a Spector tone. But it will get stuff damned close to it.

It comes down to what you like, not what's 'crappy' or whatever. If you like G&L, go for it, no-one on this board(most of which are infinitely wiser than your friend) will belittle you for it.

12. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    yea did I mention my friends a guitar player maybe thats why :)