GL Tribby L2000 or Geddy Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fredj, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Hi bassmaniacs

I have the money for a new bass and dont know wich way to go. I play in 2 cover bands, one prog rock and ond Pop/rock top 40 style. I'm looking for a more "vintage sound".

I play the tribby and was really amazed by the tone variety. The neck is a little big IMO.

Play a Geddy once last year. The neck was great but i dont recall much of it. There is no Geddy in any store in Montreal region cant try it again :mad: .

Any help appreciate

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

All I can say is the the G&L is a solid bass and will be far more versitle than the Geddy. You can get a ton of sounds out of that pickup setup with selector switches. Never played another bass that had that many distinctive sounds before or since then. Great if your in two bands playing a varity of tunes... Kind of the "swiss army knife" of basses...
  3. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    This is a tough one. I've tried the Geddy J and LOVED the neck on it. I think the vintage pickups will really cut through any mix and the Badass II bridge will give you more sustain and better intonation than a conventional J. The Tribute, however, definitely has more muscle (those US made humbuckers are no joke and the preamp only makes them deadlier). There is also more tonal variety as well. The drawback?--yeah, the neck. I've played souped up Jazz basses (usually with EMGs and Badass bridges) for years before I discovered the G&L ASAT. The neck is like a Jazz but it has the killer pickup/preamp setup of a L2000 (plus I found the Tele shaped body unique). I dig the L2000s too (both foreign and domestic) but they have those hefty P-style necks. An L2000 with a comfier neck would be perfect.

So comes the compromise; comfy (Geddy), tonal variety (Tribute). Consider, COULD you adjust to the heftier neck? Consider, the Geddy, basically a 70s J-bass still has a degree of variety and if not enough, there are countless replacement pickup options out there that might give you a bit more. It'd be easier to upgrade the pickups than get a J-style neck for yr Tribute.

Try both axes again (I know the Ged my be hard to find in MTL) and figure which inspires you more.

4. I was in much the same situation as you except that I was playing in an 70's cover band and a top 40 band last year. I tried many basses, Ibanez, Epiphone, Yamaha, G&L, Spector, Peavey and Ernie Ball but to me the Geddy was the best one for my style and needs so now I am the proud owner of one.

Edit: Good advice there from dgce.
  5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I just purchased a G&L tribute L-2000 two days ago, blueburst, rosewood neck, and i could not be more happy with it. I was playing on a fender p-bass copy beforehand, so i didnt notice much of a difference in the neck, and i think that even if i was playing on a smaller neck i still would have adjusted to it. The huge variety of tones that comes with the L-2000 make it more than worth the adjustment.

I have never played a geddy-Lee, so im not sure how they compare, but all i know is that i love my L-2000 and wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world.
  6. I bought a Tribute L-2000 a few months ago and it still amazes me. I've been playing G&L's for over 7 years (5 US ones) and this Tribute seems to be an outstanding instrument.

I bought the Korean L-2000 because I couldn't get the body wood I wanted any other way. I love the sound of my tilia (basswood) US L-2500 - my swamp ash L-2000 never sounded anywhere near as good to me. The closest sounding bass I could get was the Tribute in a basswood body. I lucked out and got an old stock blueburst basswood body which has now been discontinued.

Every time I pick it up I'm knocked out with how good it sounds. Sure the neck wood and hardware aren't as nice but the sound and feel are as good as any of my US G&L's.

The Geddy is nice too, but again, it's not as versatile. Having said that, there's not much you can't play with a good Jazz bass.
  7. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Vintage sound? Geddy, for sure.

I really want to like G&L basses, but I played a few recently, and the tone wasn't what I had expected.
  8. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Wait a minute; you PREFER the tone of basswood over swamp ash? How odd. I recalled being impressed and even psyched that G&L switched those blueburst finishes from basswood to swamp ash. I’ve been on the fence about going to a 5 string and figured seeing as my G&L ASAT has served me so well for so many years, trying an import G&L 5 might be a reasonable introduction to a 5. The thing is, I like the look of that blueburst but I tend to lean more towards black or white guitars and basses. However I figured I'd opt to go with a new blueburst for the tonality of the swamp ash which I figure would sound better than a black L2005 which would be basswood.

So, what is it about the basswood that you prefer it over ash?

9. chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    i like basswood better also

its very similar to alder(i think its slightly better though) which ive been playing for a while and it just became my sound.

and my vote goes to the G&L too. The quality is just outstanding and you can get sounds that range from j-bass type growls, musicman funkiness, or smooth p-bass
  10. I find the swamp ash has too much midrange for my taste. The L-2000, especially if you run it series, has a ton of midrange already so I always found my swamp ash L-2000 too "knocky" sounding. I just never liked the sound of it anywhere near as much as my tilia L-2500.

In my other G&L's, same deal. The Legacy (alder) always sounded better to me than my swamp ash SB-2. The Legacy (or LB-100) and SB are essentially P basses, which usually already have lots of midrange. With the ash, I find them too midrangey.

The other thing about the non ash basses I like is that they seem much more resonant acoustically. I really feel like the instrument vibrates much more freely. My swamp ash basses always felt more 'dead' acoustically and I felt the amplified tone reflected this.
  11. origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    I have owned both basses (Fender Geddy Jazz and G&L Tribute L-2000).

Like the other posters have said, each bass is excellent with its own advantages and disadvantages.

The Geddy: It just looks cool. Everyone who sees it just loves it. The blocks look style-ish and help you see on dark stages, badass bridge is solid. The neck is relatively thin compared to most jazz basses (dare I say) Ibanez-ish. If you like to play fast or have smaller hands this may help. For a more vintage sound, the Geddy is clearly the better of the two basses. 15” speakers help with the “vintage” sound too. Not really a hi-tech bass, but more a consistent meat and potatoes bass.

The Geddy only comes in all colors of BLACK. I personally did not like the crappy stock tuners. I replaced them with my "F" tuners off my "retired" 77 P-bass. I also didn't like the stock pick-ups in both sound and feel. I added EMGs because the stock pole pieces scuffed up my fingertips and the EMGs helped in achieving the hotter “RUSH” tone, as the weaker stock pick-ups did not. The Geddy is my current #1 bass.

I had a G&L Tribute: premium, swamp ash, rosewood fret board, and gloss natural finish. I would not of sold it, but I was short of funds (married guys know what I mean), and I found another bass (Fender Maiden P-bass) that I just had to have right then, and I plan to buy an American G&L L-2000 someday.

As stated, the neck is much more like a big P-bass with a flat 12” radius versus the Geddy 7 ½”. I think the cherry-burst looks the best. I only bought the "natural" because it was the best sounding rosewood fret board one they had. Everything stock was great except the strap-pins.

Tribute: It’s probably one of the best foreign basses out there. This bass blows away all the Squires, Epiphones, SUBs and such. I still say just save up and get the American, but the Tribute sounds/feels just about identical to the US version. Only the hardware seemed cheaper on the Tribute versus the US L-2000. For Prog rock this bass would work, but It’s more Chris Squire/YES than Rush, Zep or Floyd. For Top-40/Cover songs this bass can be a jack-of-all-trades. The bass has a ringy tone I think is very similar to an EBMM Stingray, but more versatile and focused. Not exactly right for James Jamerson, Jaco or Geezer, but would be killer for RHCP or Tool. Careful, the bass is very hot and you may need to use your pad switch.

It’s a touch choice. I say go with the Geddy first, then just save up for the American G&L L-2000 or ASAT and use the Geddy for back-up or when a less hi-fi sound is needed. Hope all this gibberish helped.

12. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    What do you mean?
  13. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    He just means to use the active input of your amp as the pickups are hot.
  14. origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    the output of the G&L is "hot" (volume-wise) into the pre-amp of the bass head. it can overdrive the input. many bass amps have a pad (or buffer) switch -10bd or -15db to compensate for active basses or basses with hotter/louder pick-ups/EQs. i don't know the technical terms, but i suppose this gives the pre-amp a little more headroom.

G&Ls are versitile. can run in several modes. besides the front and rear pick-up switch (don't we all wish it was a blend knob), you can also run the bass in series or parrallel mode, and with the active pre-amp on/off or with a treble boost.

there is a volume, bass, and treble knob. I found the bass and treble knobs sucked the tone away unless they were maxed out. there is link somewhere on TB that has the G&L playing sound samples.

The G&L sounds great active or passive. I always thought the series was a bit much, it made the bass too "woofy". I always ran mine: both pick-ups, parrellel, eq on (but not hi-boost) knobs all the way up.

hope that helped.

15. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    OH ok no problem my yorky has something for active/passive.
  16. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks for the info. I guess what it comes down to is actually a/b testing the basswood and ash Tribute models and seeing what works best for me. BTW, I like those old G&L LB100s though I figure a SB-2 would be more versatile with the addition of its J pickup in the bridge. Otherwise, I supposed they're essentially the same bass as you pointed out. The tonal difference is likely due to the wood (LB100 alder, SB2 ash) but consider also that the LB100 uses a vintage style single P pickup and while the SB has a more modern high output PJ set up. Would you say that the SB’s higher output P with its more modern design would likely accent the mids far more than the LB100’s more vintage single P model? Consider, if that SB had the identical P pickup as the LB100 and you just turned off the J pickup, wouldn't that SB sound very much like the LB100 despite the different body woods? Given this, isn’t it likely the basswood L2005 will sound very similar to the L2005 in ash seeing as everything else about the bass (hardware, pickups, etc.) is the same? Of course there is going to be SOME difference but is it really THAT big of a difference?

17. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Great dual review! But I wonder if the Geddy is the way to go if tonally it doesn’t do what this guy wants it to do considering the extra upgrades you suggested. The only negative comments I've ever read about the Geddy model are the tuners. Okay, an upgrade wouldn't break the bank. However popping in some EMGs doesn't come cheap. The US made vintage-style pickups in the Geddy models is supposed to be a plus like its extra-slim neck and Badass Bridge. Naturally the pickups will not have the output or versatility of some more modern pickups but that's not likely what someone who's interested in this model would buy it for. I mean, why buy a vintage styled bass if it’s a modern tone yr looking for, right?—unless you got it outrageously cheap. If tonally the Geddy isn't yr bag, I say go for the Tribute. It's super bang for buck and versatile and though it may not sound a like a vintage P or J per se, you can come close enough in passive mode with either of the pickups soloed and a little tweaking of the tone knobs.

I think the Tribute makes more sense unless someone specifically wants a vintage sound. The Tribute's bang for buck cannot be denied. And if all goes well, then down the road one could consider buying a domestic model. Seeing as a US made G&L can easily cost over twice as much, it’s worth getting one's feet wet with a Tribute first.

My 2 cents.

18. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I own a L-2500 with an ash body and it's absolutely great. The only reason to go with the Geddy over the L-2500 is if the Tribute can't provide the right sound for you.

They are amazing for the money.
  19. coop

Jun 22, 2002
    If you like the slimmer neck on the Geddy. You should Love the SB-2 in the classifieds

For the same money, you can get an American made G&L with the "jazz" neck. I know which one I would buy! My SB-2 has become my main player.
  20. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Very nice. Good price too. It’s about the price of a new Geddy and with this you get the hard shell case and its US made. There was a Tribute SB-2 too but it was discontinued. I've tried those out as well and the neck was very comfy and the US made pickups were great. I've seen them around at a local shop and on eBay for just under $300 WITH gig bag. I challenge anyone to find a deal that good for this kind of quality. But as far as domestic G&Ls goes, this white SB-2 looks like a pretty sweet deal.