Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Glad for What I've Got!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was driving home today and it was just beautiful. It got me to thinking that I am a blessed man for so many things. I'm not trying to get too religious but I think we all need to take time to give thanks for what we have. There will always be some bass or amp to give us GAS but we all need to give thanks for what we do ahve and even be grateful for the ones we've had in the past. I know that for a hobbyiest, I have more than enough equipment, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

2. aftershock

aftershock

Apr 26, 2005
    Amen!

3. groove100

groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    VA.

We are blessed!

4. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    i'll second that mate!

5. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I couldn't agree more! :cool:

6. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I completely agree and I'll add that it is a sentiment that probably extends well beyond our practice rooms and into our lives for many of us.

7. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    i agree...but what is "GAS"?

8. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Truer words never spoken! Every so often I get that wake-up call reminding me that my expensive toys are just that... toys.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    GAS = Geat Acquisition Syndrome

I remember reading that for years Richard Bona had only an acoustic guitar that he reduced to four strings, and he used that guitar to learn Jaco licks. Imagine what would have happened if he gave up because he didn't have a nice j-bass? I'm not knocking wanting gear, I just think that giving thanks and understanding our blessings is necessary for a healthy perspective in our lives.

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    That happened to me about a week ago. :D

11. You're right. I have all the basses, amps, effects, etc. I can use. I get GAS for a new bass (or a new motorcycle, car, etc.) all the time, but I really don't need more than I have. And it does extend well past the gear and toys. I am extremely blessed.

Thanks for reminding me.

12. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I was thinking the same thing today. I have great gear, great tone, a great band...musically, I do feel very blessed.

Things in general have been going great for me this entire month. Better job, new Ampeg preamp, a couple of good gigs coming up...I was walking over to my guitarist's today and was thinking about this and just stopped and thanked God for how well things were going.

13. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Amen brother. I'm starting to get to the point where if I think I'm not happy with something or "I'd play better with this..." I just tell my brain to shut off and be glad for what I do have and make the best of it and not think of what could be or could've been.

14. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I hear you guys. My toddler daughter had another few seizures last night, and all of the sudden, I could care less about the Lakland I don't yet have, or the Sadowsky I may never have. This afternoon, we went in the backyard and played catch, and I had more fun doing that than I've had playing bass in a while. :hyper: You don't know what you have in life until you're in danger of losing it. I've looked over the cliff of the possibility of losing my daughter many times now, and I thank God that I've still got her in my life. Now that she's OK, I'm focusing on what's really important -- my daughter.

A decade ago I spent a few months living in central Africa, and I came back exceedingly grateful for what I've got in life (not only bass gear, but freedom, a future, my health, food, etc.) Funny how you can lose sight of "the big picture" in a GAS attack. :D

Anyway, I still have GAS occasionally, but I'm also very grateful for what I have in life. :cool:

15. havuk

havuk

Jan 5, 2005
    DFW TEXAS
    :bassist: I am very thankful for all my gear but my beautiful 3 yr old daughter is the love of my life, had my eyes opened recently finding out I have a potential life threatening health issue makes me take NOTHING for granted!!

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Amen, bro.:) I consider myself truly blessed. And thank God for my family, the fact that we have a roof over our heads, and that I was blessed with a very good job.

17. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Count me on this Grateful-Thread.

18. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    It's so hard to resist GAS, especially visiting this forum frequently! I have pretty much revamped my entire rig in the last few weeks, and I hope that I am finally going to overcome GAS!

I am reminded of the need to be happy and grateful for what I have every time I hear the US song "Beautiful Day". The line "what you don't have you don't need it" I keep trying to convince myself of that, and one day I will!

19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Hey, I'm mostly happy with my entry level gear. I won't be playing bass for a living anyway.

But everytime I see that red Valenti bass... :hyper: