Glad I didn’t sell the SX P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Medford Bassman, Aug 30, 2019.

1. I was going to sell this bass earlier because it’s always been just the backup bass. However, my wife hand painted the pick guard a few years back and i felt bad to sell it after her lovely work.

So, I took it in to my local repair guy had new pots installed, new jack, better grounding (I copper shielded it years ago), new nut cut properly, set up with a pair of Chromes and wow, what a difference. The action is just where i like it and it sounds great and i like the new pots.

It’s a keeper. I may have to rotate into a show in the future. I’m excited about doing some recording with it through Garage band.

7AE93305-3BEF-467D-BF84-0CDE6CD88A98.jpeg 53C4D8FD-1F64-48D2-9B97-CD426DDC7994.jpeg 886A10B7-492E-4740-AA77-F7B7DCA54CB1.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  2. SunByrne

SunByrne opinionated intellectual Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Awesome! Your wife's work on the pickguard is both gorgeous and unique.

3. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I'll say! I believe there is a place on etsy waiting for her!

Medford Bassman likes this.
  4. Funny you mentioned that, I just spoke to my local guitar shop. He mentioned that about 8 people came asking about the pick guard. so, my wife is offering to do custom ones and then seal them in acrylic for people who are interested.

jfh2112 likes this.
  5. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

Cool pickguard.

It is amazing how a good solid tune-up will bring a bass to life. A properly cut nut is one of the most overlooked and transformative things you can do. And poorly cut and slotted nuts are not just a symptom of low price point instruments; I've had expensive production line basses come with cheap wonky nuts that needed to be filed or replaced.

Don't hide it away, rock that SX, bro! I used to play them and always recommended them to my students on a budget.

Medford Bassman and dabbler like this.
  6. Mushroo

Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Beautiful SX P-bass! Its cousin in Massachusetts says 'hi'. From the headstock shape, I'd guess our basses are similar vintage. Mine is all original except for the pickguard (which was originally white). One of the best basses I've ever played, at any price tag. You were right to keep yours, especially with that lovely one-of-a-kind pickguard. :)

RS8nature.jpg

7. Copperhead

Copperhead Still creakin' around. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    Try all four, you won't believe how much better it will be. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Medford Bassman and Flooflox like this.
  8. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Word!

9. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    Nice. A P is not a complicated animal. Your SX is sweet. I just put a Fender original '62 in a Squire Affinity and added some 9050L flats. Good player even before the changes. Quite worthy now.

10. Ah! That old style SX headstock makes all the difference!

11. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Uh huh!

IMGP2723a.JPG

12. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Oh cool, I wondered what had happened to that one. Glad you will be playing it.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021