1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Glad to see George Michael on bass. R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MEKer, Jan 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    George Michael on bass.

2. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    He's credited with playing bass on some songs on his "Faith" album.

knumbskull and MEKer like this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You live and you learn. I had no idea was ever a bassist!

knumbskull and A.K. like this.
  4. dorky

dorky

Jan 16, 2017
    George Michael on bass.

Pinkies Out!
    (too soon?)

bobyoung53, MEKer and azfatboy like this.
  5. If I had been blessed to have George Michael's fame, I'm sure old pictures of me on keyboard, guitar, mandolin and
    dare I say, ukulele would have surfaced by now and been analyzed ad infinitum.
    There is a track or two of me on the Internet playing guitar and keys. I won't embarrass myself by providing a link.
    Michaels was a musician and talented singer, of course he picked up and played instruments besides singing.
    ...and according to my girlfriend, "He was a handsome devil in his day"

In found this on the Internet so I'm sure it's true, here's George Michaels on sax!
    GM sax.

6. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Huh-where did you find that? I gotta say that does not look like George at all.

7. Steve9842008

Steve9842008

Jul 20, 2008
    That's from that Sexy Sax Man vid from a few years ago.

8. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Yeah-------I doubt anyone really thought it was G.M. <shrug>

A.K. likes this.
  9. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    He is credited with the bass line on Freedom 90 IIRC; which is a pretty swingin' bass groove.

pmcd, knumbskull and MEKer like this.
  10. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Looks like a Status he's playing?

11. mhartman29

mhartman29

Mar 23, 2014
    Austin, TX
    I would be shocked if he played the bass on freedom! I love GM and Deon Estsus and that bass line reeks of Estus. So funky and rhythmic!

If that's GM playing I will be floored by him! That voice AND that bass playing?

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

That is easily my favourite track by the man and one helluva swinging bass line. I would not be surprised if he wrote the line and had a studio cat play it but I love to think GM played that track.

mhartman29 likes this.
  13. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  14. mhartman29

mhartman29

Mar 23, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Again, don't get me wrong. I'm a huge GM fan. His vocal and songwriting talents are among the best ever, imo. But I have a really hard time believing he played that track. It sounds exactly like Deon Estus.

I could see him writing the generic bass line and then Estus came in, put his magic on it and recorded it. That would make sense to me. But the way that bass line is played, its sense of timing and rhythm, and the fills are all signature Estus.

Unless GM wrote most of those amazing bass lines and Estus was just recording what GM gave him, I don't see it. If he did, though, my god what a talent.

15. joebeadg

joebeadg

Sep 1, 2010
    eustis fl
    ut oh! Sergio! And to think, I almost didn't click on that! pretty funny

16. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    He was a multi instrumental genius.