1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Glarry Burlywood J Bass now available

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B-Mac, Aug 26, 2019.

1. SLIV

SLIV

Jul 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    Don't know if you guys are awesome or evil. Just ordered the "Burlywood J" : )

I have three SXs including a stock SX J that is my main player. The thing is perfect. I have the resources to get a Geddy Jazz and I think I'd love it but I can't really justify it. I honestly got the Glarry just to have a backup in another color. What a time we live in!

2. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    :thumbsup:
    Ordered the Jazz Bass. Should be here today! :thumbsup:

B-Mac and Bass Man Dan like this.
  3. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    Answer:
    Both pickups are very close to the '62 location, I think. But unfortunately, if you Google this you find people who measure from a saddle (unreliable) or from the edge of the bridge (doesn't work if your bridge is different, like this one), or they talk about the placement at length without quoting any measurements! And, the numbers they do give vary some; maybe they really did over the years.

On mine:
    -Center of polepieces of the neck pickup are 28" from the nut (11" from the center of the 12th fret = 279 mm from center of 12th fret).
    -Center of polepieces of the bridge pickup are 31 3/8 = 31.375" from the nut (14 3/8 = 14.375" = 366mm from the center of the 12th fret).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  4. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Thanks for posting detailed measurements.
    Which did you get? Glarry J or no name J that looks like Glarry?
    Pics?

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  5. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    Says Glarry on the box and on the headstock. Color "Sunset".

There are two clear protective plastic films on the pickguard.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    EatS1stBassist and B-Mac like this.
  6. B-Mac

upload_2019-9-7_16-34-23.

7. B-Mac

8. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    B-Mac likes this.
  9. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    These J pickups are the original unequal lengths, about 92mm (3 5/8, 3.625") and 95mm (3 3/4, 3.75").

EatS1stBassist and B-Mac like this.
  10. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    I am waiting as well Fedex passed it off to the USPS :banghead: so maybe Monday/Tuesday?

11. B-Mac

Weird when that happens

Happened twice to me. Turned out better for me though since they held it at the Post Office for me and I could pick it up before they closed

12. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    I actually went down to the post office thinking I could get it but it hasn’t even arrived there yet so Oh well I’ll be getting it soon! :thumbsup:

B-Mac likes this.
  13. B-Mac

Now the anticipation builds

upload_2019-9-8_16-51-6.

14. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

"A good electric guitar, will be your constant companion in your lifetime. Buy a GLARRY electric guitar and pursue your own musical dreams. The GLARRY guitar brand is aim to do one thing, which is let all beginners have good guitars from the start. Buy a guitar and we will send a rich gift package."

this is brilliant

15. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Lol!:laugh:

B-Mac likes this.
  16. SLIV

SLIV

Jul 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    I got my Glarry Burlywood J today.

Kind of insane what you can get for $70 shipped to your door. It's perfect. Straight neck, pretty low action out of the box, even the strings sound good. And it's pretty! And ridiculously light. I'm kind of shocked and I had a feeling it would be good.

EatS1stBassist, JRA and B-Mac like this.
  17. B-Mac

Yeah, my Burlywood P is very light also.
    Any pics? I am planning on ‘saving up’ $75 for one of these :)

How are the pups? Noisey? Quiet?
    Low output? High output?

18. SLIV

SLIV

Jul 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    The only thing I can find on it that seems off is the tone knob seems a little bit lower than the two volume knobs and I think it rubs the plate at one spot. The pickups are a have a bit lower output than my SX J and feel more "clear" if that makes sense. Set the same way, SX J is a bit thicker in sound. Of course, this could be the difference in new vs. old strings as well as string quality. The back of the Glarry neck feels smooth but not slick or slippery, almost unfinished.

Note, I'm comparing two sub $100 Fender Jazz copies. That just makes me smile. : )

I like the Glarry. I think it's quite beautiful. IMG_2926.JPG IMG_2928.JPG
    IMG_2927.JPG

19. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:D

congrats on your new instrument! :thumbsup: it looks good --- glad it was playable "out of the box."

20. B-Mac

I'm gonna do something I never thought I'd ever do here at TB....I'm going to post a drooling emoji for a $75 bass....
    Hold on....here I go..... :drool:

SLIV and EatS1stBassist like this.