Glarry GIB 5 String Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pep, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Okay guys, I know what you’re probAbly thinking. A new 5 string bass for $129.99? The answer is yes.
    I was searching for a 5 string and had a budget of $1000. I played and ordered a new Yamaha TRBX 505 which was due in late Aug or early Sept.
    I have small hands and the Yamaha neck size is a near perfect fit for me.
    While I’ve been waiting our sound engineer sent me a link for the Glarry GIB 5 string. I laughed but thought I can always send it back, so I ordered it.
    Bottom line. I cancelled the Yamaha.
    For $129.99 this bass is amazing!
    The neck is great with no sharp frets and a nice satin finish. The bass is very light.
    I was skeptical at first, but after changing the strings and doing a set-up on it, I’ll be playing it regularly.
    The past 5 strings I’ve owned are 2 Carvins, a Scherer, a Warwick and a Tobias.
    This one plays nearly as good as any of those. Here are some pics. 38F9FA30-F176-44C7-82AF-E47D6ADB99BA.jpeg 29457E4E-5841-490C-8C33-5779539BF2B6.jpeg 54BD2EBA-68D1-4C6B-96AD-DC847F393EC9.jpeg 9E4DB83F-DC5A-4D49-94DA-C8C419FA237E.jpeg AB18DDE7-8521-4DBA-BF12-7392770F45F9.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  2. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Stop in and join the fun!
    Official Exquisite/Glarry/Burning Fire Bass Club?

CatchaCuda likes this.
  3. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    Man, that finish looks great! I regret getting the "yellow", but I still like mine. Snagged it for $75.30 total, off of wish. Only mods are a top load bridge, ghs boomers and a series parallel switch. IMAG1461.jpg I believe mine was so cheap due to its handful of "quirks" ;).

faulkner1953 and B-Mac like this.
  4. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    So explain your controls set-up? I’m going to do master volume, master tone, blend and series / parallel switch.
    I love your bridge but I think I’m going to replace mine with a Wilkinson.

CatchaCuda likes this.
  5. CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    It's simply wired like a typical jazz, V,V,T.
    You're proposed wiring sounds like a good plan to me. Please do share, if you do it.

6. I also just bought a 5 string GIB Glarry in Burlywood. I paid $124 including tax. I checked out reviews and watched video before deciding it was worth a shot. I just thought the Burlywood was a great looking bass, and knew I would have to do a little work to make it worth having. I hate a 2 volume setup, so I also bought a preamp to replace the stock electronics.
    So, when it arrived I was very happy with the appearance, and the neck was nice, just as I expected. When I tuned it up, the neck turned into a ski slope. Way hard to try and play! So, adjust the truss rod, lower the bridge, tweak on it for a couple of days, and it now plays very nice indeed. The intonation is spot on, I didn't touch it at all.
    Next, the electronics. The pots are all wrong, and I didn't even mess with them. I just pulled it all out and replaced everything with the Tone Monster SEB2-ABPA+ . Big difference! I am finding a bit of hiss with the highs turned up, but I don't play with the treble up anyway, never have. There is also some single coil hum present. So, now I'm going to shield the cavities to try and reduce the hum.
    Things I like are the the fit and finish(not perfect, but pretty darn good), the neck and fretwork are good, The tuners are good, the bridge is fine ( it could stand to be a smidge wider), and it's light at 6.8 lbs. I may eventually replace the nut, although it functions well as is. Someday I might change out the pickups, although with the active electronics I'm perfectly happy with the tone. I did raise the pickup height a little, not much.
    20201028_105823.jpg All in all, a very good investment. Anyone without setup skills would not be happy, and without some controls work it would not be acceptable to me. I am very happy with it after the things I've done, and would gig with it any time.

B-Mac likes this.
  7. motoman

motoman

May 8, 2008
    Ontario canada
    Nice bass and a great price

8. What bridge did you put on your yellow Glarry ? That looks like a better bridge than the original. The strings seem to line up properly with the fretboard, with the outer strings properly spaced from the edges.

CatchaCuda likes this.
  9. CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    I like quick-load bridges! I found it on eBay, Sung Il, made in Korea and super affordable.5-String Bass Bridge Chrome w/ Zinc Saddles Dual Load 17mm Sung-il BB105 NEW 685646948772 | eBay

I did fill the old mounting holes, and create new ones for that bridge.

faulkner1953 likes this.
  10. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021