Glarry, Is It Good For Mods?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lucas Gonzalez, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Lucas Gonzalez

Lucas Gonzalez

Jul 31, 2020
    Hi I want to have a bass to build up slowly. I don't have a great budget so I wanted to do these mods on a Glarry GJazz. Since I'm new to this field I wanted to know if this is a good idea.

spatters and Dr. Cheese like this.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    spatters and TrustRod like this.
  3. Depends on what mods you want to do.
    There is a YouTube channel where the guy does exactly this with a Glarry P - upgraded everything on it; this is the $89 model, bottom of the barrel
    This guy:

there are like 6 or more episodes where he does a bunch of upgrades - even the neck. You’ll have to search his channel to see them all.

but it might be worth getting the upgraded one for $159 and need to do less to it...
    I am considering the GII Jazz with no plans to upgrade it. Just set it and forget it. I already have better basses, I want one as a true beater.

B-Mac likes this.
  4. bigdaddybass12

bigdaddybass12

Feb 26, 2021
    mmm, that is a tough one. You may spend $200+ on upgrades. I look at a bass for resale value. I had a Squier VM I almost had to give away. I bought the latest version of Sterling Ray4 on sale for $269 for fun. Kinda wanting to sell it. Only a zillion of them for sale. May have to give it away too.
    Said that to say this, you get the $79 bass, put $300 worth of upgrades, it is still a $79.00 bass

5. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I've not quite understood the value of buying a cheap instrument and then sinking lots of money into upgrades, unless the body and neck are absolutely your favorite. Otherwise, there are so many choices for better ready-made instruments.

StayLow, droo46 and bigdaddybass12 like this.
  6. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    The beauty of Glarrys is their low price. They are made for modding -- not just upgrading, which most people seem to do -- and since they will never be collectible no one has to worry about "original condition." You can do things to a Glarry most people would hesitate to do even to a Squier.

Just be discreet and don't go changing out things until they've proven they need changing. That will keep the cost down. Me, I would start with a different pickup, not just a better pickup. Pull the stock pickup on a P and slap a DiMarzio Model One in there and see how you like it.

7. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    if the plan is to get into lutherie on the cheap then, likely not.
    if the plan is to get into bass playing with this course then, no.
    but it's a fun educational rabbit hole to jump down so, yes.

8. White Funk

White Funk

Nov 25, 2018
    Put good strings on it, do a good setup and put a Bill Lawrence pickup in it. Mine is now my go-to bass.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  9. JW56789

JW56789 Guest

Feb 18, 2017
    IF you can do it cheap, otherwise take that money and buy a better axe.

I came this close to putting a full EMG setup, pickups and BTS control network, in a Squier Jazz. With installation, I'd have been the proud owner of a great-sounding $800 Squier. . . . . only to find out when the time came to sell it, most pickers are expecting to buy a good, used Squier Jazz for around 300 bucks, regardless of what's under the hood. I'd have taken a $500 bath ! Glarry is an even less expensive bass, so be careful.

So, I rounded up some great alternatives and put about another $100 in it, and if I get close to $400 bucks and lose a LITTLE money, that's OK. No matter what you do, it still says SQUIER or GLARRY on the headstock, and that is what's going to set your resale price range. EMG SQUIER might have got me another 10 or 20 bucks.

Learn from my experience.

10. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Was I the only one reading the title thinking it was gonna end in “metal”?

Gotta admit I was bummed when I saw “mods”. We were soooooo close!

11. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Go for it, it's a super inexpensive playable bass (after a set up) or yep just use it as a mod platform.

I yanked the frets on one, left one stock as a "house" bass, and added a CV 70's blocked & bound j neck to this Glarry Burly P body.

This is my lightest bass by far at 6.4lbs. I have it strung up with Fender flats and it is a fun player.

Paid $60 for the bass $75 for the CV Jazz neck $135 total invested.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Official Exquisite/Glarry/Burning Fire Bass Club? ...Check it out...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    spatters likes this.
  12. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    In the Glarry club I always described my Glarry J as sounding "mysteriously beautiful". Figuring out why was a good learning experience. But during this time - in order to preserve a benchmark - the Glarry has not been modded or even opened, just installed TIJFs, and it is still mysteriously beautiful.

So my advice to someone who doesn't have a lot of money is, if you can, buy two Glarry Js and keep one as a "standard", as otherwise you could be fooling yourself.

My roasted ash Fender Am Pro J that I bought after the Glarry? Changed the neck to a thicker profile one (inspired by the Glarry), and changed the V-mods to Area Js, and I still don't like it as much as the Glarry. Just my experience and my preference.

C Stone likes this.
  13. White Funk

White Funk

Nov 25, 2018
    Funny how everyone has their particular things they like or don't like about the stock Glarry. To me, the strings were the single biggest improvement. Mine was quite weak sounding when I got it but I figured for $70 it's not bad. But I had a set of Ernie Balls strings laying around and figured I would see if it made a difference. It was the biggest difference I ever saw by swapping out strings. Other than that it was completely stock but still needed a decent setup (but I find that just about every guitar I get needs a setup in the sub $1k category). At that point it was already a pretty good bass. But the Bill Lawrence pickup really finished it off for me. You may or may not be a fan of the neck which feels like it's unfinished. BTW, I found that there IS a finis on it. I tried staining the back of my Glarry Telecaster neck and it wouldn't absorb any, so unless they do the basses different, there is a finish on it. Probably more of a sealant.

C Stone likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022