Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Glass Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Limo, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    My friend is working installinvg glass windows. He made a prototype bass made of glass. Itsounds very, glassy or should I say CLassy? It's clear but he's been also trying to melt down coke bottles to make a body. That would be a semi-green bass but clear like colored acrylic. But it's much heavier. He actually doesn't want to make me a bass because he wants the only glass bass. he said he was also thinking of installing an aquarium in one with living fish. But I told him, they would just die. Like Disco Stu in the Simpsons in his Belbottom shoes. What should I do? Report him to a poison contyrol center after he drinks a pint of Listerine. He does that every day while building these glass basses!

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Sounds interesting, Will he let you post pics??? I'd think the thing would be HEAVY. I'm sure some other more knowlegeable folks may chime in with their thoughtw on the Tonal Qualities of glass, but it can't be much worse than acrylic.

How did he make it? Cutting? Grinding?

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Pics! Pics! Linky? :D

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well I know that Dave Grohl plays an acrylic guitar with a brown pickguard which looks really cool. Also, Kirk Hammet has a Telecaster looking ESP with like water in it that's made out of acrylic. So, I would say go with acrylic not glass. Also, the acrylic guitar is HEAVY.

6. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    He works cutting and installing glass in houses. He uses Wormoth necks. He cuts the glass in a table saw for glass, and hand polishes the bass afterwards, the process takes a long time, he insists it is not easy and he's only doing this for himself. But remember the Paul Stanley broken mirror guitars? I would assume the glass can be easily chipped? The tone is allright though. What do you think?

7. I think we need pics.

8. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    The Paul Stanley one ( was it called "Mirror Ball"?? ) was done by cutting mirror into pieces that fit together like a puzzle and epoxy'd them to the face of the guitar ( I won't mention the place I read about this so the thread doesn't get hijacked, but I'm sure a google will get you there pretty quickly). The acrylic instruments are heavy, but a solid glass one would be heavier. And VERY prone to chipping. I would think you would only be considering tempered glass. The main place to be concerned with would be the screws holding the neck. That's where ALL of the stress of the instrument is going to be (a good deal will be on the bridge too, but the neck pocket being thinner would be my concern.) I can understand him cutting the glass on a table saw, but what about the pickups, control cavity, previously mentioned neck pocket and the shape of the body (unless it's rectangular, which I doubt). You can't do those things on a table saw.) Again, Acrylic is a better material for these types of shapings, which is why it's been done (for quite some time too, my brother in law's old band's bassist had one, smokey acrylic, in dim light it just looked like black paint. Looked like circa 1970's)

I'll have to agree with you're friend that it' NOT going to be easy if it's going to be done right.

9. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I say a fully glass violin, and it didn't sound that bad. I think if you made a semi-hollow glass bass it wouldn't sound to shabby, and maybe knock off some of that weight.

10. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Listerine is like 40 proof but it's nasty. Scope is much better, at least it was back in the good ol days.

11. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, with just a little increase in the brittle arena. Figure a bass is typically 1.25 to 1.75" thick, make say .5" hollow area in the middle of that and you have .75 to 1.25" left, which is divided in half (front and back) and you get .375 to .625" thick glass for the front and back. At the thicker end that's a bit more than twice the thickness (and twice the weight) of window glass. That's not going to take too much stress (or abuse) before it breaks. Every violinists are MUCH more careful with their instruments than 99.9% of the bassists I've met

12. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    It's solid glaSS THROUGH like the acrylic guitars and instruments.

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    gee, hard case or gig bag for that puppy? :bag:

aside from being heavy i can see that as being one DANGEROUS instrument. when (not if) it accidentally gets broken, if it's being played/worn at the time it should have a nice razor's edge on it suitable for instant evisceration. :eek:

14. Add this to the thread of good basses for whacking someones head off haha. :D

15. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Well that would be even harder on a table saw. I thought you said that he was using Warmoth necks, and last I checked they didn't offer glass as an option on their necks.

I'm just wondering if you're living up to your sig.

16. Just barely!

18. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Riggs, the guitarrist of Rob Zombie has a fernades acrilic guitar filled with blood and he usually drinks and spits that blood in some RZ concerts.

19. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    :D:D:D

20. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I heard it sat too long one time, and he got sick from it. Real blood. Bovine I think.