Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Glass fingerboards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VoodooChile, Nov 10, 2002.

1. you guys know of any company out there offering a glass fingerboard on their fretless models? sounds interesting and i've seen a couple fretless guitars with glass boards but no basses. is there a reason for this?

2. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    got a pic?

3. I bet a glass fretboard would result in a rather "transparent" sound.

:D

4. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Clearly.:p

5. Bad Joke. I could see right through it. :D

6. You might want to reflect a little on that. :)

Glass might chip, and it is quite dense relative to wood (SG 2.51). For comparison, ebony is ~SG 0.9. You could end up with a neck-diving beast which slices your hands.

7. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    so many bad puns...

you should see the crazy looks you get when you tell a guy he makes a better fingerboard than a window.

if anyone has sound clips, post a link-

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think it would really shine in the spotlight, assumning he has a clean sweeping technique.

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I don't see that as being a good idea.. a chip in the glass= pain...... and talk about neck dive

10. tempered glass isnt very fragile - and the right kind of chip in an ebony board could give you painful splinters too

HERE are some fretless "glass fingerboard" (guitar) song samples

11. Carl Brusky

Carl Brusky

Sep 21, 2000
    Easy to clean the fingerboard. Just use Windex.

I can see it now the discussions going on about what is best to clean the fingerboard, Windex or vinegar and water.

12. did we get all the bad puns?

probably not.

ok, the reason you see glass on fretless guitars is due to the sustain issue. the strings can actully cut into the wood very quick (we're talking after playing for a few minutes) and sound dead after that, no matter what. with glass or aluminum you won't get that problem. basses simply don't need something that hard. thicker strings=no razor cuts in the wood, fewer dead spots. i've seen fretless basses with aluminum necks, in fact... i have no idea why they would go with glass on any instrument. metal is the best option. *throws hand in the air in the sign of devils horns*

13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'd fear that the glass will crack when the wood of the neck shifts. Or one or two Billy Sheehan-like neck bends - SNAP!

I'd much prefer stainless steel, e.g. on Reiner Dobbratz's fabulous Le Fay Remington Steele fretless basses.

www.lefay.de

Vigier uses "Delta Metal" fingerboards on their fretless models.

14. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    somethinf that I was wondering is why doesent anbody use horn as a fingerboard on a fretless? It's hard comes in large sizes ang can be easily worked.