1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Glass Frets?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JAdamCotterBass, Oct 1, 2013.

1. JAdamCotterBass

JAdamCotterBass Banned

Sep 29, 2013
    Anyone ever try using glass frets? i tested just a single fret, using 3mm borosilicate rod. it is flexible at lengths of over 3', so i put epoxy 5 minute into the slot where the fret used to be (used a hot 2mm glass rod to burn it to shape, then sandpaper around a cool one to bring it to 3mm) then i held it in place until the epoxy set, and nipped the ends off, diamond files to dress.

It didn't crack immediately, but i think I would curve the frets first by placing in a kiln with the frets draped over a mold o get the curvature to match the fretboard. I wish i still had the bass to show a pic. it didn't sound much different to me, but i imagine zero wear, and it should slap super bright.

I love the way brass frets sound. Getting prepared for my first proper build, going with simplicity. Sandwich fiddleback maple and ancient mohogany for the body, and a bolt on 5 way maple koa neck (or should I use a different wood besides koa)?. If the laminate body proves beyond the scope of my abilities, i'll try bubinga solid body (2 pieces bookmatched?).

A glass nut is really nice, and they do not crack, very very clean harmonics. if you want to hear an approximation what it sounds like, just tie a glass guitar slide to your 1st fret.

Ive already learned so much from this site, the last bass i made I used maple from home depot, laminated (without a joiner) with gorilla glue, the only tools i used were a chainsaw, a chisel and mallet, and a drawlknife, oh and a shurform.

Stoked for my wood to arrive! glad I checked around, i was going to use spalted maple, but i hear that makes for a deader/warmer sound. I'm all about bright, tight, slap and harmonics. My Builder Idol is Ken Smith, i had a CR custom bolt on, with alembec preamp swap, and it was perfect.