1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

glassjaw dirty sound??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ErikKrueger, Oct 22, 2002.

1. how does he get that sound??? i know he plays a fender p bass... does anyone know what kind of pedal or rackmount effect he ususes to achieve that crunchy sound?? i have been trying to get a dirtortion like it.

or if you have any other suggestions for a really nice, crunchy distortion..

thank you,
    erik

2. In a recent issue of Bass Player, it said he uses a Big Muff Pi. There were some other pedals mentioned, but I forgot what they were.

3. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Ok, I am not sure what he uses... But here are some of my sugestions.... (I am a pedal fanatic).

1. ProCo Rat
    2. DOD Death Metal
    3. ANY!!! tube overdrive
    4. If you use a good amp with a good eq/preamp, Just get somthing like a DOD 250 preamp pedal - it will drive the **** out of your amps preamp. Also you amp makes a BIG diference... somthing like a peavey TKO will sound as dirty as all hell (or for that matter any solid state), but a tube amp will sound muddy/and fuzzy.... hope that was some help....

Alex :cool:

4. it does help out more... but his sound is more of a crunchy sound.. not like fuzz or noral distortion..... moe crunchy. heh, know what im trying to say??

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    you know...

I don't know why, he has a "Warwick Thumb" ish tone (on the recordings).. i listen to the glassjaw cd EVERY friggin day.. and i love it.. I think he uses the Big Muff Pi, and for Track 6 (Must've Run all Day), he used an octave pedal for the middle break

DM