1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GlassTone Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Dec 28, 2011.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I met this Sammie Glass years ago and had the chance to play a few of his early basses and they sounded good. And I respected his potential. I'm glad to see that he has stepped up his game and now makes his own cabs as well. I haven't heard his cabs or his new basses but I do remember feeling that his early basses sounded very good. As I've mentioned I haven't heard his cabs but a few guys I know said that they are very nice. David Dyson has been using them for a while and really digging them.

WELCOME TO GLASSTONE MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS!

2. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    nice looking basses Jauqo

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Sammy used some of my early low impedance active pickups in a few of his basses. That was back in '07. He was working not he cabs back then too.

Haven't talked to him in years.

4. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    LOVE the looks of these!

5. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Nice looking basses indeed!
    This 1x15"/horn 800W cab is only 28lbs!! Awesome!

[​IMG]

6. I might be getting old, but I kept reading "Gallstone Basses". :atoz:

7. I'm sensing a theme there with the names!
    It's a pity they didn't carry it over to the cabs...

8. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    The G in Lil G could stand for Goliath. A bible Character. But because of SWR he couldn't just say that. or Lil Glasstone. In any event I'm getting one of these bad boys. I'm a student of slap bass and if David Dyson is slapping through one of these I surely want to check one out. When David slaps he's got his own thing going on. IMO there are others who slap just as well but no one slaps any better either. He flat out kills it.

9. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    a 31 lb. 2x12 @ 1200RMS that is 19x16x16 sounds very cool. I mean in theory and all, seeing as I haven't actually 'heard' it.

10. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    "GlassTone" gave me false hope of some new and innovative approach to building and body styling that potentially involved glass. :(

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

12. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    How about plexiglass? :D

13. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Oh that sounds nice!

My aging spine can use this! My Mesa 4x10 weighs a ton and I live on the second floor...

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

:)

15. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I was thinking more along the lines of glass frets, like that one guy who offers crystal frets.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I've been using mine for several gigs now. It's the real deal... and definitely an overachiever. I'm still sometimes surprised and always more than satisfied at the results I'm getting from such a small package.

The cab's sound is very transparent. It works great with guitar too and so far just about anything that needs to be amplified. I took it to the Brubaker shop last week and Bobby Hird of Crack The Sky put a Chameleon guitar through it's paces; Walter Woods amber light (600w) into the Lil G. The Chameleon is model incorporating the layout of a Les Paul, Strat and acoustic in one and each setting came out true to it's design through this rig. Electric bass, guitar, keys and music have all sounded amazing running with my Acoustic Image Focus 1R. If you want to hear exactly what you're doing, I can't think of a better setup I've experienced. If you want to dirty it up, the AI has an excellent effects loop. The Lil G is cool with whatever we've thrown at it.

Bottom line, if you like (or in my case, need ;)) accurate sound, you'll probably love this cab. It doesn't sound like you're playing through any particular sized drivers, it just sounds good.

Sammie also built a similar sized 1-15 with a Faital Pro neo 15HP1060 (2,000watt 15 lb. driver) to use with the Lil G when silly volume just isn't enough. Not really necessary, the Lil G stands on it's own just fine... but what the heck.
    :D

17. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    Good to know. I've got an email inquiry in now.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    If you gig, the one trip load-in/load-out aspect of my rig is sweet. Gigbag, 4 lb. amp and the cab has a dolly option. Three cables and I'm ready to play (I use a tiny Planet Waves tuner too). Pull those cables, basses back in the bag and I'm walking.

It's like I have a "stack" that works for gigging with my Miata.
    :D

19. Praise/Worship oriented brand? I suppose it was only a matter of time. I have yet to see a praise bassist that played an SX. They seem to gravitate towards Spectors, Smiths and other fancy wood top basses.

Ps-want to buy one of these and play it in a satanic thrash band. Just for giggles.

20. Why would they do away with the 4x10 and the 3-way cabs? That 2x12,tho. Whew!!