Glastonbury Festival - An Amazing Year - with some great bass players....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Jun 30, 2004.

1. I just got back from this year's Glastonbury festival on Monday night and having got to bed at 5am every night since last Wednesday you’ll have to excuse me for being slightly vacant. The reason I’m posting this is apart from to see if any Tber’s from around the world went there? It was by far the best one I have been to and it was truly incredible for both the atmosphere of 150,000 people getting on and having fun in a safe and responsible way – while also managing to be pretty outrageous!

I was there as a journalist covering the Jazz World stage – and as such I saw some great music – but there were a ton of great bass players playing in all sorts of bands – the best being Squarepusher a.k.a. Tom Jenkinson – he was amazing playing a 5 string Warwick Thumb – and doing the most insanely technical runs and mad effects – making it sound like Fender Rhodes at times, while playing some really ‘deep’ jazz chords – all the while it was raining in this clearing in the woods (the stage is called The Glade – kind of Lord Of Rings meets jazz techno!) But I also saw a bit of James Brown – and his incredibly tight and **** hot band featured non other than Chuck Rainey! He had two bass players actually with Chuck doing vocals and secondary bass lines – the other dude was really good too.

The guy and band I wanted to shout out was the incredible Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra – they were amazingly tight and what a sound – truly huge and powerful – seriously awesome. My only disappointment being (apart from Squarepusher) no one took a bass solo!

If you have never been to Glastonbury it is still a life changing, mind altering experience that I recommend to anyone – as long as they are open minded and love music you can’t fail to have a good time – however I think I need to go and lie down soon!

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I watched a lot of it on the telly, in the comfort of my own home, on on big speakers, with suitable refreshments, no problem getting to the toilet and quite dry!! ;)

Serioulsy - there was some good stuff on both BBC2 and BBC3 - also digital had a feature to alternate to live sets with no editing.

Although we were watching Morrissey on Sunday (my girlfriend's favourite) and it started playing up - cutting out!!

It was good to se Paul McCartney doing mostly Beatles songs - like Helter Skelter, Get Back etc. etc. He had a good band and it made you realise how much better those songs were, than his subsequent solo output!! ;)

I saw a lot of James Brown and agree about the tight band !!

He was also on telly over the weekend doing the gig for the Olympic flame in London - and he did a duet with Will Young!! :meh:

Has there ever been a bigger gulf in talent?? ;)
  3. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    i didn't get to go :tears:

i am upset. but all my friends who went said it was amazing.
  4. Don't be sad Gia - I need a hug right now (on the comedown as it were) so you'll only make me feel worse if you do - just make plans to be there next year - and sorry, but this year was truly awesome.

5. I noticed that- one guy was playing a rosewood-board stingray4, the other what looked like a Dean 5string (was that Chuck Rainey?).
    both of them appeared to be plucking with their thumb only.

it sounded like just one bassist though...

Mick Quinn of Supergrass and Chris Wolstenholme of Muse (noticed he briefly switched to using a pick or strumming in Stockholm syndrome- cramp being the reason?) were on good form (not that keen on either band though).

Charlie Jones (ex-Page & Plant) has a pretty easy job these days with Goldfrapp- root-notes and not much of note except for his seethru Nightingale P bass. but Felt mountain is a great album.

Franz Ferdinand were great- apart from their bassist who's quite sloppy.

Macca's bass-playing-while-singing is still great, but he's struggling to sing high notes.

my favourite act was Ian Mcnabb on the extra digital channel- a great set of a couple of icicle works songs, some Neil Young-style guitar hero stuff and other solo songs.
    I'm tempted to buy his new "Potency" best of.
  6. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Ben Harper- Juan Nelson. Who went to see them at the hammersmith on tuesday? i did. I was at the front. he was doing a solo. Me and my mate got a bit of paper saying i (heart) u JUAN. IT was well groovy cos he then kept pointing at it and winking at us!
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Having wandered the roadways in that part of Somerset, I can only *imagine* what the traffic was like! 150K people and those cowpaths you call roads?!?
  8. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    oh man oh man oh man oh mam'am? Yes Ma'am!

I can't believe you got to see Squarepusher tearing it up....he was supposed to play for a buddy of mine out here, but couldn't make it.

I need to pick up some of his cd's rather badly, quite..
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Plus the rain and the mud!! :meh:
  10. Just for the record - it did take us <b>three hours</b> to get off the site but the mud didn't mess much up for anyone, it was dry when we left for home on Monday - in fact people were painting their faces with it like war paint - while stamping around in it was tiring it was also quite theraputic - on the last night I found a lovely campfire and had loads of great conversations with a load of old and new pals and a great time was had by all - three days on and I'm starting to feel human again!

It honestly was a truly classic year, and I can't recommend it enough to those who appreciate this sort fo thing - and especially to those who doubt how good it is - give it a try - you will love it!!!
  11. Do it - you need:

Hard Normal daddy
    Feed Me Weird Things and
    Ultra Visitor

Weird thing is I once interviewed Gary Willis and he loves Squarepusher - but especially his drum programming - he recommmened a TJ album I can't remember the name of but I was pleasanly surprised by Willis' very catholic taste!
  12. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles

Get this... I just got back from BestBuy, Circuit City, Barnes & Noble, and the Wherehouse, AND THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY SQUAREPUSHER! Even stranger, THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE PAT METHANY'S BRIGHT SIZE LIFE!! ahem, sorry.

Absolutely pathetic, no wonder you Brits think we're shallow.

We are pathetic! (I can say that because I'm half Scottish half English ;) )
  13. I enjoyed the Glastonbury coverage on the Beeb, but didn't get to see the unexpurgated coverage since we don't get digital TV down 'ere... Bloody peasants! Anyway, I particularly liked the Goldfrapp song they played (OK, so from a bass standpoint it might be quite dull) they at least had quite an original sound going on. Scissor Sisters were *interesting*, it was the first time I'd really heard any Muse - quite impressed there, Macca was good, Oasis were fine but boring to watch (as usual), Chemical Brothers didn't do anything for me this time (strangely), Toots and the Maytails were really hopping, Franz Ferdinand were good, Von Bondies (spelling?) were good, Orbital were good - but not enough coverage for my liking. End of 10 years together and headlining the Other Stage but only brief coverage on Beeb 2 with more from Muse???! What's going on? sorry I missed Squarepusher. I'd have liked to have heard that.

Anyway. I was there in '94 to see Orbital headline the NME stage at that time. That was quite an experience. My recollection was spending lots of time tramping round the site... Weary feet at the end of the weekend.

Thanks for posting URB!
  14. It really was a special year this year - I'm still smiling every time I think back on the weekend, I keep finding things I thought I'd lost like i found my shades today (and yes, I found my brain as well - today) and discovering things that still have mud on them! The coverage is better this year - but it's always better to be there - I met a friend today who was there and with whom I got completely battered on the last night - round a camp fire - floating out into space! I made a load of new friends and caught up with lots of old ones too - a truely wonderful time was had by all - and I'm almost recovered - yippppeeeeeee!
  15. You'll be having flashbacks for weeks by the sounds of it!
  16. *Pink elephants - on a trapzez - with a monkey on the brain....*

Oh sorry just dropped off there....
  17. Lackey - You can buy Squarepusher's album Ultravisitor direct from Warp via MP3 at their BLEEP website: I've just done this today. It's very good.